Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which windows7?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 victor7

victor7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:05 PM

I have vista64 ultimate. System meets compatibility requirements for windows7. Used for games such as Crysis, MOULa, LOTRO, MS Flight, Avatar the game, etc. Active email, blogging, etc. No business. Will windows7 home premium edition do? Or shoud I go for Professional or Ultimate, all 64bit? UPgrade or complete new install? I can download current documents and pics, games, etc. that I want to keep. Where to buy? MS home is expensive; cheaper at locations on NextTag, but??? I only want legal programs. What else should I consider,do? Should I even change?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

Out of curiosity I just checked the price for a Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Upgrade from Vista Ultimate 64-bit and it is expensive at $183 !!! If you don't need all of the extra business stuff, a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM only costs $99. I have Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium and I have no problems with any of the latest games. I have Crysis, MoH, MW, MW2, BC2, and Black Ops all running at max settings. The only difference with an OEM license is that it doesn't come with the free Microsoft support for the first 90 days that an upgrade version comes with, but with sites like this... who really needs Micro$oft?

#3 Brockishh

Brockishh

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:55 AM

Hey, i would go with ultimate. It is really good and very fast. Alot better than vista. :thumbup2:
Laptop
HP G60
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
AMD Athlon X2 QL-62 2.00 GHz
Video
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G 128MB
Ram
3GB Ram
Programs
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Adobe Lightroom 3
Cyberlink Powerdirector 8
--
Brockishh

#4 victor7

victor7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

Zuhi and Broskish: Thanks for the information. Another question. I have two 400GB HDs. I had a crash a couple months ago and had to reinstall vista64, after reformatting. Process cost me about 100GB pf space someway, but everything works well. I was thinking of downloading the docs and pics and files I want to save, and then doing a complete cleaning of the HDs, then reinstalling vista64, then upgrading to windows 7. Thoughts, suggestions...

#5 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Most Vista drivers also work well with Windows 7, but I would download all of the Windows 7 drivers for your motherboard (low level chipset, network, etc) and have them handy for the upgrade. It seems to me that you are well prepared for the upgrade.

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

For what you are doing, there is probably little benefit to the extra cost of Professional or Ultimate.

See the following comparison and see if you will actually use the extras you are paying for:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Edited by PolaBar, 07 December 2010 - 01:04 PM.

#7 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

For what you are doing, there is probably little benefit to the extra cost of Professional or Ultimate.

See the following comparison and see if you will actually use the extras you are paying for:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

I would agree but it seems his mind is made up. I just purchased another copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for a system I am building from NewEgg for $94.99 (free shipping).

#8 victor7

victor7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Excellent advice. Thank you all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users