Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get to "Mile 0"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Infanteer

Infanteer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:22 PM

Good evening. Now that the folks here helped me clear up my desktop, I was looking for a little advice on how to sort out my netbook.

I've currently got a LG Netbook with some form of Windows XP that I've had for over a year. In that time, the poor guy has taken a beating being our "download machine" as well as going to Afghanistan with me for 7 months. It is quite slow and clunky right now.

I want to get it to "Mile O" - essentially take the operating system back to the day I bought it. I don't have any files or programs on it that I want (I've transfered them to my desktop) and I tried doing a system restore, but that only took me back 3 months and Windows wouldn't even allow that.

Is this even possible without deleting windows (it doesn't have a disk drive and no program came with it).

Thanks,
Inf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,475 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:33 PM

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

How to Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The quickest and (believe it or not) easiest way to accomplish this will be to do a fresh installation of the operating system. This means that all of your data, pictures, e-mail, downloads, programs, basically anything that was added after the purchase of this computer will be gone.

Do you have the recovery CD for this computer, or access to a XP installation CD? This installation CD will have to be the same version as yours, eg. XP Home or Pro.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Infanteer

Infanteer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

Good day, hope you had a good holiday.

It took me some time to figure out why this netbook couldn't get on the internet. To top it off, it has a "google analytics" virus and keeps going to the site; I'm not sure if the router has been hacked here (the other computers are Macs).

Anyways, I don't have (and don't recall) this netbook coming with any XP disk - it doesn't have a disc drive so I have no way of reloading the program - I was hoping that there was some sort of "reset" button. Here is the system specs by speccy.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/OV6SVbovIVXA9OgCE2AKi5L

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

If it came without a recovery disk, you should have a recovery partition on the hard drive. (unless you have deleted it) It may or may not be a hidden partition, but you should be able to access it from the boot menu by selecting the "recover" option.

Edited by PolaBar, 29 December 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#5 Infanteer

Infanteer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

I don't know if it has an internal recovery - I can't find one on the drive.

Is "recovery" different than "restore"? I go to the system restore in Windows, but it only lets me go back a couple months and even that doesn't work.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:32 PM

It looks, like it should have recovery partition:

Partition 0Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #0Size: 4.00 GB

What brand of netbook is it?

Is "recovery" different than "restore"?

Yes, recovery will restore your computer to "day zero" state (like you just bought it), all data lost.
System restore will restore your computer to a date, you select in system restore options. Your data is safe, some programs\Windows updates installed after that date will have to be reinstalled.

Your other options is...
to get some help from the malware removal team. I would like you to start a new thread and post a DDS log HERE and include a link to this thread. Please make sure that you read the information about getting started before you start your thread.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Yes, as Broni pointed out recovery is not the same as restore.

How you get to recovery varies from machine to machine, but is normally accessed by pressing a certain key during bootup. It is usually <Esc>, <F2>, <F11>, or <Del> etc.

Normally the options are flashed briefly on your screen during boot, but can disappear so fast they can be hard to read.

#8 Infanteer

Infanteer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:13 PM

Good Evening,

With the advice above, I was able to initiate the LG System Recovery by hitting F11 during the boot and I have loaded the "factory image" taking me back to "Mile 0". As this thing had been a "internet hog" for a couple years, it is now clear and performance has improved remarkably. The Google Analytics Virus is also gone, as my google searches do not result in redirects.

Thanks for the help and advice - as I mentioned, I'm not very handy with the computer at all, so I needed direction to the most basic function.

Inf

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Good job :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users