Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fattycf

fattycf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

Hello. I'm using Windows XP Pro. Error message on startup:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updateds. Try changing the video adapters. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.
Technical Information:
***Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x89170f4b, 0xf78de504, 0xf78de200) "

I recently removed the "virus" that http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-defrag shows you how to remove. Everything was fine for a couple days after I removed it and I went to a website today at the office (I think it was harborfreight.com, so nothing bad) using Firefox. A Java box popped up right in the middle of the browser(this is the same thing that happened right before I noticed I had the defrag virus) and everything locked up for a few minutes. I shut the computer down manually since it was unresponsive. Then the error message came up when I started the computer. I tried going in safe mode. There was also an option to go in the last known working configuration. Neither worked, and it keeps going to the error message. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:57 AM

Hi fattycf and welcome to BleepingComputer!

First of all, do you have an XP CD at hand?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 drg3824

drg3824

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:04 PM

Bad hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users