Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xDWolfy

xDWolfy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:37 PM

I'm looking at getting a power supply. I was just wondering if there were any specific brands I should be looking for (I've heard Coolmax and Corsair are supposed to be quite good) and any I should be avoiding. I have a few ideas, and I'm mainly looking at something that'd be enough to power a fairly high end rig (between 650 and 850 watts) - if it'll help I'll post the specs of the PC too.

Also (if you can) a red and black PSU would be nice; I'm trying to keep it all in a colour scheme cause the case is gonna have a window on the side and I like to show off haha... My price range is between 0.01 and 100 so go nuts :)

Cheers.

oh and, I'd like them to match/fit in this case, have some psu's in mind. I'll list some here;

PSU 1 - OCZ ModXStream
fatal1ty 750w

I just have no idea what I'm looking for.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:47 PM

Run away from the ModXStreme unit. Mediocre in every way.

The OCZ Fatal1ty 700 W is a much better unit.

Generally I like Corsairs and Seasonics as those two brands don't really have any duds in their line up (verdict is still out on the CX430). It is hard to go wrong with either brand. That being said, there are plenty of brands that have great power supplies, you just have to be careful as to what specific PSU you are looking at.

Certain brands use numerous OEMs to make their PSUs. Some do it fairly successfully (Corsair), some don't (Thermaltake, Topower, Powmax, Rosewill, Diablotek, Apevia, Raidmax etc). Even the well regarded names have their share of problem children (Antec, Enermax).

Main points: Don't cheap out on a PSU. The PSU is the heart of the machine. A PSU with dirty rails/bad voltage regulation will make your life miserable chasing gremlins when/if they occur, not to mention shortening the life of your other components. Research what you buy: Hard OCP, Hardware Secrets, and Jonny Guru have the best PSU reviews. Read them.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 December 2010 - 08:48 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

I tend to like coolermaster and ANTEC PSUs most, with OCZ and Corsair coming in below that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:00 PM

Found a "semi-updated" list here. Not the perfect guide, but most calls are close to reality. Not sure of it's last update.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=768814

Edited by dpunisher, 06 December 2010 - 10:02 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

Personally, I go for Corsair but I'm currently using a Silverstone. I've heard good things about PC Power and Sparkle Computer, not to be confused with Sparkle Power, PSU's. Some of Corsair's newer "Builder" series of PSU's aren't that good, it really seems hit or miss.

3939.png

#6 xDWolfy

xDWolfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:48 AM

I'm hoping that this isn't too good to be true. After looking at dpunisher's post with the psu list (which was a real help! thanks) the Silverstone SST series is supposedly in tier 1. Which is apparently good. The other PSU's in 'tier 1' are much too expensive for me, like the Antec mentioned there, it's 125 for a 650w... I can't afford that. :(

I'm gonna read up some reviews on it and hope it turns out well. I have a bad habit of buying the first thing that comes out in front of me... Thanks again guys!

#7 LT Dan

LT Dan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

Thermaltake Tough Power Grand
Elvis has left the buidling...

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

Thermaltake Tough Power Grand

Why would anyone spend that much for an overpriced CWT PSU? If you want a CWT 750 you can get a Corsair 750HX for $123 AR. Even a Seasonic X750 Gold is $159.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users