Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing internet drivers on new XP installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sphinxfalcon

Sphinxfalcon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

I recently inherited a computer from my brother that was a complete mess. Corrupted files, spyware out the wooha, so before I put any of MY stuff on it I reformatted it to save myself the time and effort of downloading a gazillion 'cleanup' programs and manually reorganizing files.

That part went okay, but now when I start my computer it doesn't register that I have any Internet connection. None of the 'connected' or 'Network cable is unplugged' icons show up, regardless of whether the cord is plugged in or not, and the cord isn't damaged because it works on my old hunkajunk laptop.

Trying to open a new connection results in a Error 769(?): The connection you have specified cannot be reached. Considering that the internet, although VERY slowly, worked before the computer was reformatted, I've concluded it can only be a driver or software issue that my Windows Xp disc somehow didn't include.

Does anyone have any ideas and/or sources that I can install to repair the drivers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

Go to Device Manager...uninstall the current networking drivers, then reboot and reinstall the correct drivers.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:56 PM

Chipset driver first.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users