Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Safely Delete?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohn487

bigjohn487

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:54 AM

I recently noticed that in Windows Explorer when I cascaded down to Windows, the first two entries are in blue and they read "$NtUninstallKB887797$" and "$NtUninstallKB900930$". (All quotation marks mine). Both are 4 KB. They each have a plus (+) sign next to them and when I click on them they both gave a submenu of "spuninst". When I click on them they give me a text document folder in Notepad, each with two lines in them relating to my address book for the first and Outlook Express for the second.
I realised that the names belonged to two Windows Updates so I went to my update history and found that KB900930 had failed in its installation back in Oct 2005 although KB887797 appeared to have installed correctly on the same day. I downloaded KB900930 and it's there now although it says it was installed on the original date.
My question is - can I safely delete the two Explorer entries? I have never seen anything written in blue in anything in Windows Explorer. As an aside, could these two Windows Updates be the cause of my getting the Blue Screen of Death a few times this summer?
Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:14 AM

These are most likely the uninstall routines for some Windows Updating that you did (you can check in Add or Remove Programs for their presence)

Now comes my deletion philosophy:

1) Never delete a bunch of stuff at one time (or, if you do, make a log of it). Never delete anything that you want to delete. Instead, move (NOT copy) it somewhere else (preferably onto a separate drive, but at least to another directory). I move mine to a directory on my Desktop called "ToBeDeleted".
3) Leave the stuff in the "ToBeDeleted" directory for 2 weeks - if you nothing breaks, then delete it to the Recycle Bin.
4) Then, if nothing breaks, it'll be deleted as the Recycle Bin fills up (you'll get about a month out of this method before it's gone for good).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bigjohn487

bigjohn487
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:44 AM

usasma.
Thank you, I'll try that. However, I already sent them to the Recycle Bin; they're still there so I'll restore them back to Explorer and then move them as you suggest. I really don't use this computer much so very little gets sent to the Recycle Bin so it may sit there for months.
I don't know if I should post this as another topic but I was reading a reply of yours to someone where you talk about viewing the event log. I viewed mine and looking at the Properties for something called "dcfssvc" which shows up under Information every time the computer is used, it tells me that the event log file is corrupt. Do I need to worry about this?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:55 AM

Yes, you can either restore it and use the process that I describe - or you can just leave it in the Recycle Bin if you think it'll stay there long enough. My timeline is just from my experience (and I use my computer for many hours a day) - your circumstances are different.

From a google search for the dcfssvc service, it appears to be associated with Kodak digital camera software. Do you have such a camera and have you installed it's software on the system? If so, it's possible that there's a problem with it, and you may want to consider uninstalling and then reinstalling it.

But, Information means just that - it's information for you to use. If the software is doing what you want, and you don't have any concerns with it - then I'd just keep an eye on it (it's the Errors that you have to watch out for the most!)

With the dcfssvc event log being corrupt, you may not be able to view the logfile - which will describe what happens when you use the program. I assume that it's a running service when you start your computer (there may even be a Kodak icon in your system tray).

So, in short, if you're not having problems with it - and if you have the Kodak softwere on your system - I wouldn't worry about it! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bigjohn487

bigjohn487
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

John
Many thanks again. Yes, you're right, I have a Kodak digital camera and that is the driver for it. It's not causing any problems so I think I'll just leave well alone. It's good to know people like you are out there to help us.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

Thanks! That's why we're here.

Ok, Ok, I'll tell you my story! :thumbsup:

Back in 1996 I was stationed in Korea with very little money and very little to do. The company clerk and I found a couple of computer games downtown that we wanted to try.

So, we bought them and brought them back to base to play. Since the computers that the Army used then weren't 100% MS-DOS (they were Wangs) - there were some problems with the games. Which we, as good soldiers using our initiative, tried to fix.

Needless to say, we hosed the Wang! (pun intended ;) Luckily, the government had a US contractor nearby to fix it. When he came in, he not only fixed it - he also explained what we had done to mess it up!

Armed with this new knowledge, we were undaunted and continued our own private war to get the games running. This poor contractor came back many, many times - and each time he came, he patiently explained to us what we'd done wrong (and even how he fixed it).

I moved on from there, and have been haunting the internet since the early 1990's. And everywhere that I've gone - there've been people who have devoted their time (for free) to helping me learn about computers.

Well, after so many years, the knowledge finally did soak in a bit - so I'm back now, trying to help others as my repayment to those who helped me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users