Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DD-WRT Repeater Bridge

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Irish Enigma

Irish Enigma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

I have 2 Netgear routers, one running DD-WRT, and a WGT624 V2 with stock firmware. I'm trying to extend the wireless network. I do not know if this is possible with only 1 router running DD-WRT. I used this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge to set it up but ran into problems. I couldn't access the routers default ip from the computers connected to my main router, I would have to use my iPhone to connect to the secondary routers wifi and change the settings from there. And when setting it up, my wifi for both routers shut down after setting up the virtual network. My dns servers from my ISP got messed up and had to manually set up static DNS servers. And when setting it up I see no point to momentarily set my computers static ip to 192.168.1.9. I need a little help here. Thank you
-Irish Enigma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike Ortiz

Mike Ortiz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

The limitation with standard bridging is that it only allows wired clients to connect to your secondary router. Wireless clients cannot connect to your secondary router configured as a standard bridge.

This is why you want to use the DD-wrt Router as a Repeater Bridge.

Are you sure you are in the proper mode?

You will need to set a static IP in order to connect to the device, if you don't have an IP on that range you will not be able to connect to it.

If you follow the instructions on that link it should work, I have one up and running with no issue.

THE SSID's must match, try simplifying them if Necessary.

Are you trying to set it up first with NO security. There is always a chance the DD-WRT will not work with the the standard linksys security but it's rare, it's a shame you can't put DD-WRT on that model yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users