Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Netbook Dead

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DAL7910

DAL7910

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

Good Morning All,

I have an Acer netbook, running XP home and it's 3 years old this month. This past July it suddenly stopped working on battery power however, it would operate on the AC adapter. After some research I discovered there appears there is/was a problem with some Acer netbooks having battery issues like mine and solution offer by Acer support is to update the BIOS. Knowing how limited the life of a laptop battery, I opted to purchase another, longer life batter and that seemed to be the answer as it started working just fine on the new battery.

Now it's doing the same as in July, not working on the battery with the orange battery light flashing, indicating the battery is not taking a charge however it would work on the AC adapter.
It was last used about 2 to 3 weeks ago however the battery was fully charged before this period of non-use.
Thinking this problem is related to the BIOS issue, I followed the instructions in downloading the BIOS update, transferring the 2 needed files to my flash drive as well as renaming one of the files. I attempted to upload the BIOS update multiple times again, following the instructions to the word with no luck as the computer would restart as normal, with the computer using the AC adapter. I then looked at the 2 files on the flash drive and noticed both of them ended with a .VEM and that file extension (if that is the correct term) is not mentioned in any of the info researched so, the .VEM was deleted on both files.

In addition the Flableep.exe file was in all upper case letters and, in referring to the instructions, that file only has the letter F in uppercase. Thinking that may be an issue I renamed the file Flableep.exe with only the letter F in upper case. The computer was again restarted and it appeared to be updating the BIOS as the flash drive was flashing and the screen remained blank as stated in the instructions from Acer. However it never rebooted as per the instructions and it's now dead, not starting with the batter or AC adapter so that's where I stand today. A friend currently has the computer and states the battery and charger are good as they were used on another Acer netbook with no problems and he sees no obvious problems with the
mother board.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how fix this problem, or at least how to get the computer started again? I fully understand I may be in possession of a Acer paper weight and the cost of repair may more that the computer is worth. That said I do want to at least give the repair route a try before giving up. My thanks in advance to all for any information and advice offered.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DAL7910

DAL7910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

Please note the above file name of Flableep.exe is not the correct file name. It appears there is some sort of filter that removes what appears to be foul language. The correct file
name Flash it.exe and there is no space between the letters h & i. Thanks...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

It sounds like you have rendered the BIOS inoperable. This may require the purchase of a new EEPROM with the correct BIOS from the manufacturer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 DAL7910

DAL7910
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:01 PM

You are the 2nd person to offer that idea and believe you are correct. It looks like I have a netbook paper weight. Thank you for your time and info with my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users