Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A couple questions before I fire up home-built PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

I built my PC this weekend. I have not turned it on yet and I have a couple concerns.

1. When I was screwing the motherboard to the chassis, I initially did not use the screw standoffs because one of the diagrams didn't require it. The standoffs raise the height of the screws so the motherboard does not sit on the chassis. It leaves space under the board.

I fastened about two screws when I noticed the diagram for the other part did include standoffs in its diagram. So I undid the two screws and used standoffs all around. I'm not sure how much contact the motherboard made with the case chassis, and I'm wondering if I caused any damage when the board was temporarily screwed down without the standoffs.

2. I also notice my old power supply had a mode switch for 115V and 230V. My new power supply doesn't have a mode switch at all. How does it know what voltage to select?

Thanks,
Dave

Edited by skymaster191, 06 December 2010 - 10:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

1: You should be OK. Make sure you don't have extra standoffs under the board. Extra standoffs short out boards.

2: Modern active PFC PSUs don't have a voltage switch. Doesn't need one. As long as voltage is between 100 and 240V, it is good to go.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 December 2010 - 11:36 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:55 AM

thanks very much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users