Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirect virus, Internet Explorer has encountered a problem pop-up, can't read emails

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 TAB4

TAB4

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

I don't know what in the world I did. I did open an email link that went to youtube and showed a video of a Christmas flash mob. I also searched for articles comparing hand washing to using hand sanitizer. Then I tried to stop programs on start-up by logging on as administrator (even though my regular account has administrative privileges it wouldn't let Some stop stuff from starting up). In any case, now I have a redirect virus (not necessarily just in google). It redirects unless I can copy the address into the address bar. Pop-ups are coming up - some with an innocent listing of other websites and some that look, well, let's just say bad. I also have an Internet Explorer error message popping up constantly whether internet explorer is open or not. It says "Internet Explorer has encounted a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." But it never closes anything. Finally, I can't read the body of my yahoo emails anymore. I see there are emails. I'm looking at the listing, but I can't see the body either in the preview space below or by double clicking on the email (it opens but there's nothing at all there - not even to and from).

So here's what I've done in an attempt to stop this based on solutions offered on this site and others: "restore" back before I opened the email, searched hand washing, and messed with start-up programs (I've even tried restoring futher back), downloaded and ran Malwarebytes (it found some stuff), downloaded and ran Spybot S&D (it found some more stuff), ran Yahoo anti-spy (looks like it doesn't update anymore - 2007 was latest - but it did find World Anti-spy), downloaded and ran Hitman Pro 3.5. I've checked the email encryption (it's default), I've cleared my temporary internet files, history, cookies several times to see if the email will work. I've checked how much space is saved for the email - 124MB (one post said make sure it's over 50MB). I even deleted some emails. (Just to be clear - the email works on other computers.) After most of these I've also rebooted to catch start-up viruses. Based on other posts I thought for sure that Hitman would solve my woes, but all it found was cookies! I still have the issues above.

(Not sure if this matters but I actually tried the downloaded programs first. Then when I couldn't read my email yet, I restored back. Finding out that I still couldn't read my emails, I tried restoring further back. Still couldn't read them and restored forward thinking the downloaded programs would be there (they weren't), then I think I tried restoring back and couldn't. Then I had to redownload the programs and run them again.)

I have McAfee through my internet carrier. I'm using Windows XP, SP3. The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 with 2 GB RAM and 40 GB hard drive.

I've been messing with this for 3 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, if you have a solution, I'm not sure that I can click on links when they say "click here" unless it leads to something that I can download as a file on another computer and carry over to the infected one.

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2010 - 08:59 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users