Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer keeps restarting, will only get to XP logo?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 SeanMadd

SeanMadd

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:00 AM

Every time that I power on my computer, a black screen comes up with text. It says "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this."

After this, there is a list of choices: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration and Start Windows Normally. Now, if I hit enter on any of the Safe Modes, a bunch of code at the bottom of the screen appears. Then, my computer restarts. If I hit enter on either of the other two, the Windows XP loading logo thing appears, then it restarts again.

What do I do? I JUST got it back from being fixed from a virus that wouldn't even let me turn on my computer? I had this problem before but I forget how I fixed it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

Hello SeanMadd, do you have an XP CD at hand?

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
Model: DY141A-ABU a510.uk

#5 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Hello SeanMadd, do you have an XP CD at hand?

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen

• When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

I don't have a CD, no :S

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive(file): /SystermRoot/System32/Config/SOFTWARE
or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Then it said something about a physical dump and that I should contact.. whoever. I forget.

Is that enough info?

Edited by SeanMadd, 06 December 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:42 AM

Yes, that is enough information. :)

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Download http://noahdfear.net/downloads/rst.sh to the USB drive
  • Insert the USB drive and CD in the Sick computer
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • Expand your USB (sdb1)
  • Confirm that you see rst.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash rst.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located at sdb1 named enum.log
  • Plug that USB back into the clean computer and open it
Please note: If you have an ethernet connection you can access the internet by way of xPUD (Firefox). You can perform all these steps on your sick computer. When you download the download will reside in the Download folder. It can be found under the File tab also. You can similarly access our thread by way of this OS too so you can send the logs that way.

Please also note - all text entries are case sensitive

Copy and paste the enum.log for my review

Edited by elise025, 06 December 2010 - 11:43 AM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

My clean computer is a laptop which is gone right now with my sister, and I'm on safe mode with networking. Can I do this task via my sick computer?

Will this fix my computer?

Edited by SeanMadd, 07 December 2010 - 10:50 AM.

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

This will show me system restore points, which we can use to replace your corrupt registry with. You will need a clean computer to create the xpud disk.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 lhommedieu

lhommedieu

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

Hi guys,

I have the same problem - as of yesterday on my office computer after I spent a some time with a moderator on Bleepingcomputer cleaning up some viruses, andon my home computer after replicating the process to get rid of a virus there. I have to think that it's a result of doing some deep cleaning using the rkill (sp) software that I downloaded from you, or possibly installing malwarebytes and/or AVG 11 - since I'm getting the exact same error message on both computers after using the exact same software.

No worries - I'm sure it's fixable. Should I ask for help on this thread (i.e. follow the advice given above) or post on a new thread?

Best,

Steve

#10 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

This will show me system restore points, which we can use to replace your corrupt registry with. You will need a clean computer to create the xpud disk.

Hm, too late. I did this on my sick computer and got to the "press file" step, and couldn't find the "expand mnt", so I just switched off my computer and decided to wait a while until you were online. I came back and switched it on to see this xPUD thing had taken over, which was like a totally different system... Anyway, I restarted and took the CD out because I don't want to work from that for the next while, so I'm back to square one...

I'll just try it again on the laptop.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

If you don't want to use xPUD there is no way we can get your comptuer booting again, except for a reinstall. Of course that is up to you, but xPUD really will not do anything with your comptuer, except provide a way to access your files.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#12 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

If you don't want to use xPUD there is no way we can get your comptuer booting again, except for a reinstall. Of course that is up to you, but xPUD really will not do anything with your comptuer, except provide a way to access your files.

So are you saying I've to just keep using it through xPUD or that it's only temporary? As I said I've had this problem before and managed to fix it somehow but I totally forgot..

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Yes, we use xPUD only to be able to access your files and run some scans. Using xPUD we can attempt to replace your registry hives with copies from system restore.
xPUD is a linux OS that loads in RAM. So, besides the CD it is save nowhere and does not change anything on your computer.

As for "expand mnt". When clicking Files (in the left panel), you see some folders in the right panel. Doubleclick there on mnt.

You will then see all available devices/partitions (sda1, sda2, sdb for example).
Usually sdb will be your USB. Doubleclick it and confirm you see rst.sh
Then click the Tools menu and click Open Terminal.
At the terminal prompt, type bash rst.sh and press enter.

The log will then be created on the USB drive and you can post it here.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 SeanMadd

SeanMadd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:29 PM

Yes, we use xPUD only to be able to access your files and run some scans. Using xPUD we can attempt to replace your registry hives with copies from system restore.
xPUD is a linux OS that loads in RAM. So, besides the CD it is save nowhere and does not change anything on your computer.

As for "expand mnt". When clicking Files (in the left panel), you see some folders in the right panel. Doubleclick there on mnt.

You will then see all available devices/partitions (sda1, sda2, sdb for example).
Usually sdb will be your USB. Doubleclick it and confirm you see rst.sh
Then click the Tools menu and click Open Terminal.
At the terminal prompt, type bash rst.sh and press enter.

The log will then be created on the USB drive and you can post it here.

Sorry, I don't understand. This is a bit confusing for me so I'm just gonna try and figure it out :o Thanks for your time.

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:39 PM

Just boot in xPUD as instructed and then try to follow my instructions. When you see the xPUD interface it should be pretty easy to follow. :)

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users