Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help Deciding between these 4 computers

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hello people!
First time poster here. Anyways I'm currently participating in a site that offers free comps for doing certain things. However I can only pick one of them as my prize. So my question is which is the best? As for background information I plan to use the computer for gaming with high end games like starcraft 2 and such. So here are the computer choices/specs. Also I am completely clueless about computer specs so keep that in mind XD

Dell Inspiron 518-
System specs: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, Windows Vista Home Basic, 2gb DDR2 SDRAM, 250GB Hard Drive, 16X DVD+/-RW Drive, Radeon HD 2400 Pro Graphics Card, 7.1 Channel Audio. Includes Keyboard and mouse.

Cybertron Cruiser-
System Specs: AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ 2.0GHz Dual Core Processor, K8M890M2MB-RS2H Motherboard, 2GB DDR II 667MHz PC5400 Memory, 160gb Hard Drive, 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer Drive, nVidia GeForce 7300GS 256MB Video Card, High Definition onboard sound, 10/100 Network Interface, Vista Home Basic. Includes Logitech Keyboard, Optical Scroll Mouse, and Stereo Speakers.

HP Pavilion A6500F-
System Specs: 2.40 GHz Intel Dual Core E2220 processor w/1 MB L2 cache, 4gb PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM, 500 GB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 7100, SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology, Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 15-in-1 memory card

Aspire M1201-
System specs: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, 2gb Ram, 320gb Hard Drive, DVDRW-RAM, ATI Radeon 2100 Graphics, Flash card reader, Vista Home Premium. Includes, 19" LCD monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers

Thanks for the help guys!

Edited by cookiemunsterz, 06 December 2010 - 02:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

Welcome to BC. I would get the HP. I have seen sites like these before and all the ones I saw were scams. Beware.

#3 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:00 AM

If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

I agree with thrillhouse HP

According to Blizzard Support
PC Recommended Specifications:

* Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
* Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
* 2 GB RAM
* 512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

*Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

#4 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

Thanks for the concern thrillhouse, but the company that is doing this has been around for 7 years, and I've had personal friends receive things from them. Also, I recently spoke to some friends and they said to go for the aspire? So what are the reasons that the hp is best? Pros/cons?

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:20 AM

The only advantage that the acer has is the processor is a little faster but it is a negligible difference. The HP has double the memory and more drive space. How about a link to this site for us skeptics?

Also a lot of owners of acers (and gateways) have posted on here with fan bearing failures. I wouldn't touch them.

Edited by thrillhouse, 06 December 2010 - 03:22 AM.

#6 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:24 AM

http://www.desktopcomputer4free.com/ Here's the site, but the thing is that you need referrals to complete an offer to go "green". These offers are usually things like blockbuster trials or gamefly trials. You end up usually having to pay people to sign up on your behalf an go "green" but the cost becomes much less then the prize. Also I plan on upgrading the computer, so would it be better to go for the Hp and upgrade it or go for the aspire and upgrade it?

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:48 AM

Both come with 64 bit chips so you can go up in memory but the 4gb that the hp has is in my opinion enough memory for what you are doing. I just upgraded from 1gb to 4gb ram and my processor is only 1.6 Ghz amd dual core and it seems lightning fast now. I have seen more acers than I can count with black marks from overheating because they used a fan with inferior bearing.

youtube "acer fan" and there are a lot of videos of the cheapo fans with a burnt out bearing.

#8 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:26 AM

All right thanks for the help thrillhouse! I have decided to go with the hp

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:50 AM

You are welcome. Let me know if the site works.

Edited by thrillhouse, 06 December 2010 - 04:51 AM.

#10 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:04 AM

Will do, if I get it I'll post a proof somewhere around here

#11 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hmm after looking around online, it seems I won't be getting the Hp. I was looking at amazon's reviews and they're all negative about motherboard crashing: http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-A6500F-Desktop-Processor/product-reviews/B001AMCCPI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
So what would be the next best choice?

#12 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

Do NOT use desktopcomputer4free. It is a phishing/scam site.
See here: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.desktopcomputer4free.com
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#13 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

not here to argue, but desktopcomputer4free is run by trainn which has been around since 2003. They do not personally ask for credit card info or such, you simply complete an offer such as a trial of gamefly. The only place where you enter credentials is legitimate company websites such as Gamefly. Many proofs online of them getting things and as I said before, have had personal friends recieve their prizes. Back on topic, would it be wiser to take the 500$ prize instead of getting these computers?

#14 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:35 PM

Back on topic, would it be wiser to take the 500$ prize instead of getting these computers?

What is the $500 prize

#15 cookiemunsterz

cookiemunsterz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

its exactly what it is, you get 500$ cash instead of choosing one of those 4 computers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users