Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive stopped working

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kerryboy

kerryboy

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hi,

I have an external hard drive for my laptop which I use to back up my files occasionally. I have it 2-3 years at this stages and it has been used 5-6 times during that period. I recently connected it to my laptop but for some reasons I could not open some of the files, I disconnected it and reconnected it but then I couldnt open any of the files on it. After I disconnected/reconnected it again the computer didnt even recognise the hard drive. When I go to 'My Computer' the hard drive is not displayed but I do get a usb connected icon in the system tray. When I try it on other computers I get the same result in that it is not recognised.

I am a little baffled as to what has happened as when it was not in use it was stored safely and would not have got any knocks or bangs.

I would appreciate any advice or guidance that anyone can give me.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

press the windows key and R to bring up the run box.
type in
diskmgmt.msc
and press enter. Do you see something like this:
Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

Does it show in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

^ And if it does, have you tried accessing the contents through a Live CD/Linux distro?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:33 PM

If it shows up in either BIOS as Dc3 suggested and or in diskmgmt.msc as Thrillhouse suggested then it sounds like it is probably a software\lead in track corruption problem.

This may do the trick for you in restoring it`s function. Find and Mount.

Disclaimer regarding 3rd party software; Many freeware programs now come bundled with unnecessary add-on`s. Example = Search\Tool bars. Do not be click-happy when installing these type or any other software. Be aware of what you are installing, Uncheck any\all boxes for unneeded\unwanted software. Sometimes this may involve doing a custom install if the option is presented.

Edited by ThunderZ, 06 December 2010 - 12:34 PM.

#6 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately I don't know how to access it via the BIOS, can anyone tell me how? I tried accessing it via diskmgmt.msc as suggested and it shows up but only as an unknown drive which is unallocated and not initialised.

Should I still go ahead and use the 'find and mount' link?

Also when I connected it this time it went through the process of installing new software but still didn't show up on 'my computer', not sure if this is relevant

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

Using Find and Mount will not harm anything.

May not solve your problem though.

#8 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

Using 'Find and Mount' didn't work, although it did identify the hard drive when I plugged it in. What should I try next?

I am not really worried about the info on the drive as I have it all backed up. I would like to be able to use it again but because it is not showing up in 'My Computer' I can't even reformat it.

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

you could use fixboot in ERD Commander which is free but hard to find because its old. And that will only work if the bootloader is the problem. If it is a physical problem I think it's damaged beyond a software fix.

Edit: Microsoft bought ERD Commander and now it is not free. That is what I am familiar with but any software that can repair your master boot record will work if that's the problem.

Edited by thrillhouse, 08 December 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#10 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

When you have disk management open, right click on the drive and select "initialize"

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:31 PM

What operating system are you using?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

Ok I tried initialising the hard drive from disk management and was unsuccessful.

Is it worth trying to fix the masterboot record?

I am running windows vista but when I try it on an xp machine it is not recognised either.

#13 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

What brand and model is it?

#14 kerryboy

kerryboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:23 AM

The brand is Sumvision but I am not sure what model it is. It is around 2-3 years old and around 42GB capacity

#15 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

The brand is Sumvision but I am not sure what model it is. It is around 2-3 years old and around 42GB capacity

oof. Frankly, unless you have something important on it that you need to recover, I would not mess with it and upgrade to a brand name model. (Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, etc)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users