Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard/ram Trouble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jsr

jsr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:12 AM

I recently brought 1gb of ram (pc2100, 184-pin) to complement the 512mb already present (same specs, different manufacturer).

It booted up correctly once, but the gb was only detecting as 512mb. I tried swapping them around, but now the monitor won't turn on if both sticks of ram are installed at the same time (if either one is in either slot alone, then the monitor comes on fine). The 1gb still detects only as 512mb by itself however.

I'm fairly sure it's not a conflict with other hardware as I've tried various other components just in case (switched the graphics card for another make/model for example).

Which means it's probably a problem with the motherboard (msi ms6556e), or the fact that the two ram sticks are from different manufacturers, although their specs are the same. Has anyone encountered anything similar, and if you have are there any solutions I could try short of replacing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:39 AM

If either, but not both sticks will let you boot, it will be a compatiblity issue between the two sticks of RAM. The is fairly common. It has been know to happen with RAM from the same maker but different lots.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:24 PM

Neither MSI nor Crucial list an MSI motherboard designated ms6556e. Are you sure that the number is right (there's 6565's and 6566's listed)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jsr

jsr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:30 AM

Thanks acklan, I suspect that's the problem then. Ho hum.

My mistake usasma, I did mean the 6566e.

#5 chefkrh

chefkrh

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 30 December 2005 - 11:13 PM

i have an msi 915p 3.2 combo mobo. i built it 3 months ago with a 1G ddr1 geil stick. i just purchased another identical stick and it will not boot either when both are installed. msi told me to disassemble my system and ship them the mobo for testing at my expense. anyone have any ideas?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like it's cheaper to eBay the sticks and buy two more.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users