Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search engine redirect, computer lagging, etc.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 MVB_MVB

MVB_MVB

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hi,

My father reports that his computer has been running slowly for a while and has reached the point now where it is almost unusable. The computer is a Dell Vostro 1500 running Windows XP Professional. I have been working on it (unsuccessfully) for the past two days and have noticed the following:

(1) Internet Explorer is redirecting from search engines to strange sites. I tried installing Firefox, but Firefox redirected also.

(2) The computer gives an error message at the log-on screen: "SQLDUMPER failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with. Please uninstall then rerun setup to correct the problems."

(3) There are at least two strange programs listed in the Startup section of MSConfig. I cannot type their names because they are a collection of ASCII or Wingdings characters that I cannot reproduce. I disabled these programs in MSConfig but they are still around.

(4) The computer is extremely slow and will hang for minutes at a time. Most virus scans cannot finish in normal Windows so I have had to run them in safe mode.

I have tried Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, and a couple of other scans that my father had installed on his computer. There is no firewall running at the moment, though Windows Firewall may have been enable at one point. He does not appear to have multiple anti-virus programs running simultaneously. A lot of malware has been cleaned out today, and it's possible that the redirect has been fixed, but the other problems remain and the computer is still horribly slow and completely unreliable.

He currently runs ESET NOD 32 Antivirus, which I will not uninstall because this laptop doubles as a business computer and that program was put there by his office IT guy.

I would very much appreciate any help that anyone here can provide.

Thank you.

MVB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MVB_MVB

MVB_MVB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:23 PM

Here is a screen shot of some of the weird programs that try to start up:

http://stashbox.org/1038966/SCU.JPG

#3 MVB_MVB

MVB_MVB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:34 PM

I think I might have made a mistake by making a second post in my thread. Is there anyone who can help me? Should I start a new thread? Thanks.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:10 AM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-tdss-tdl3-alureon-rootkit-using-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,567 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

Hello and welcome.. Your extra replies did delay a response as it looks like you were being helped.

You have quite q mess here. We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 MVB_MVB

MVB_MVB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

Hi boopme,

Thank you so much for your response.

Using "DeFogger" requires me to log on as the administrator. As this is my father's business computer and I am unfamiliar with XP Professional it may take some time for me to figure out how to do that.

MVB

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,567 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

Also be sure he is allowed to alter the Business machine and not get in trouble.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 MVB_MVB

MVB_MVB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

Hi boopme,

I tried to do everything you asked. The new thread is here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic366968.html/page__p__2054514__fromsearch__1#entry2054514

Thanks.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,567 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Now that your log is properly posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the Malware Removal Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Removal Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users