Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Failed To Start, Several Errors, Hive Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kbphoto

kbphoto

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:14 PM

I apologize, I am new to the forum, I do not know If I am posting this in the right place but I really hope someone can help me out here.

I have had multiple problems with my computer in the past few weeks. Programs will stop responding. It is overall sluggish. I have ran virus scans and malware scans. nothing comes up. I use MSE virus, and Malwarebytes. Again they have found nothing. My internet stops working and I have to delete and reinstall my adapter drivers. I have taken screen shots of the errors on my log if someone could please assist me I can put them on here for you to view, again I'm new so I dont know how to put screenshots on this forum, or if it is even allowed to do so. I dont know what actions to do to repair this problem, the only actions I have taken so far is running CCleaner and Defraggler, along with virus scans and malware scans.

Also my system is a Dell XPS 1640 running Windows 7 64x

The log says Windows Failed to shutdown properly it is because my computer was on Sleep mode and it got a blue screen, I believe from overheating, and it would shut itself down. This started a few weeks ago but was never this often. The log also mentions windows failing to start properly because of a corrupt hive. I have run chkdsk and it is going to check and repair upon restart. But I am afraid to restart my computer until my backup process finishes completely as I am not sure it will even turn back on considering all the problems ive been having.

I have also had several random Registry hot key failures, I have no idea what this means but even when using the Screen Capture program I have ( Quick Screen Capture )I got a registry hot key error, telling me to reconfigure the program.

I believe I am having some serious issues. I need to know what to do to fix this before it crashes my entire system for good. Someone please help me. I can provide more detailed information if need be, I just dont know what else you need to know. I have attempted to attach the screenshots, if this does not work please let me know. Thank you in advance to any that take the time to assist me, I really appreciate it. I would be dead in the water if it were not for forums like this, unfortunately alot of the forums I normally post on are being to slow to respond, I hope this one is different.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:55 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

The first thing you can try after finishing the backup, if Windows does not start, is tapping F8 on startup, on the Advanced Boot Options menu select "repair windows" and do a Startup Repair.

This sounds indeed like a drive problem, and chkdsk /r is a good place to start.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

The first thing you can try after finishing the backup, if Windows does not start, is tapping F8 on startup, on the Advanced Boot Options menu select "repair windows" and do a Startup Repair.

This sounds indeed like a drive problem, and chkdsk /r is a good place to start.

Chkdsk will not run, I have restarted twice, in safe mode and in regular windows. Chkdsk get's to 1 second left on the time and then skips drive c:
It will scan d: drive, and it finds nothing, but again when it gets to c: it counts down saying " to skip chkdsk hit any key in 3..2..1.. seconds " I hit no keys, but it skips it everytime either way.

I have been told before that running Windows startup repair is a last option, I do not want to cause any more damage, or stop windows from starting completely, I also would like to try not to restore to a previous time. I am a photographer, and although I have backed up my system using Mozyhome backup. I do not want to chance loosing any of my images, or programs if I can help it.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,576 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Startup repair is safe to use and it will correct quite some errors.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#5 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

Startup repair is safe to use and it will correct quite some errors.

I did the repair, it did not work. I got error code 0x490 system files and integrity check and repair

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,576 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:06 AM

This most likely indicates a problem with your harddisk. I strongly recommend to backup any important data ASAP!

Once done, boot in the Recovery Environment (choose "repair windows" on startup), click the Command Prompt.

Type c: and press enter.
Type chkdsk /r and press enter.
If asked to unmount the volume, confirm.
Let me know if checkdisk runs this way.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:44 AM

This most likely indicates a problem with your harddisk. I strongly recommend to backup any important data ASAP!

Once done, boot in the Recovery Environment (choose "repair windows" on startup), click the Command Prompt.

Type c: and press enter.
Type chkdsk /r and press enter.
If asked to unmount the volume, confirm.
Let me know if checkdisk runs this way.

I ran chkdsk and I got error code 0x490. I reinstalled windows but not a clean install, just an upgrade. To keep my programs and files intact. I am almost positive it is not a hardware issue. My memory test came up fine, and I ran Seagate's HDD tools to check the HDD, this as well came up clean. Is there a way to apply a registry fix? Or any trustworthy software that can repair/clean the registry and wont do more damage than good?

Thanks again for all your help. I have attatched the latest CCleaner registry scan, I did not clean it! only scanned with it after the reinstall.
Also since the reinstall I have no noticed any problems other than everytime my computer restarts I am back to windows classic theme? areo seems to be disabled by default, but I can change the theme back, only using Tuneup Utitilies. When I use the windows personalization tools it does not change it from classic mode, only changes the colors, what could be causing this issue?
Also programs still hang. So something is still wrong, just dont know what.

Posted Image

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,576 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

Is there a way to apply a registry fix? Or any trustworthy software that can repair/clean the registry and wont do more damage than good?

The only reliable way is either a System Restore or a reinstall.

As for Registry Cleaners:

I don't personally recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners for several reasons.

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:24 PM

Is there a way to apply a registry fix? Or any trustworthy software that can repair/clean the registry and wont do more damage than good?

The only reliable way is either a System Restore or a reinstall.

As for Registry Cleaners:

I don't personally recommend the use of ANY registry cleaners for several reasons.

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Elise, I dont know how to thank you for the useful information, but Thankyou! Here is the update of where I am at now:
I did not do a clean install yet, but as soon as this week is over it will be the first thing I do. I will no longer even download any programs like CCleaner. Live and learn I suppose. I did update windows and drivers after the Upgrade Install. So far everything is working as expected. Also, I ran the Windows Fix It program and now my areo theme is sticking, I have rebooted twice and it stays. So maybe everything is fine now? I have noticed no errors in my event log. No registry hot key errors, or registry errors of any kind that pop up on here, aside from whatever CCleaner has found, but I will not longer be using it to do anything to the registry. I will only use it to clean up temp files and stuff as I've heard it is one of the best programs, I still trust it to do that job without messing my system up any further.
I will post back if anything else happens from now until Monday when I will probably do the re-install of Windows.
Do you have any suggestions for a free all in one virus & spyware remover? I have been using MSE, but honestly dont trust it to find everything. I also use Malwarebytes free version, but I see some certain scans are unavailable on this version, such as Flash scan, is this needed?
Thanks again Elise!

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,576 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

I will only use it to clean up temp files and stuff as I've heard it is one of the best programs, I still trust it to do that job without messing my system up any further.

Yes, that is true. As long as you do not use its reg cleaner part, you should be okay.

If things are running okay now, no need to reinstall of course. :)

MSSE is a good antivirus application and MBAM is an excellent antispyware scanner. The paid version has a few extra handy additions (real time protection/IP blocking and indeed a flash scan). The Flashscan is a sort of extra-fast scan, and can be handy, but there is no difference in what is detected and what is cleaned. The free and paid version both detect and clean up the same malware.
I recommend to scan regularly (say, once a week) with MBAM (quick scan).
Besides that it is important to keep all software (Windows and other) up to date. Don't forget Java, Adobe and so on.

Edited by elise025, 07 December 2010 - 12:39 PM.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:43 PM

I will only use it to clean up temp files and stuff as I've heard it is one of the best programs, I still trust it to do that job without messing my system up any further.

Yes, that is true. As long as you do not use its reg cleaner part, you should be okay.

If things are running okay now, no need to reinstall of course. :)

MSSE is a good antivirus application and MBAM is an excellent antispyware scanner. The paid version has a few extra handy additions (real time protection/IP blocking and indeed a flash scan). The Flashscan is a sort of extra-fast scan, and can be handy, but there is no difference in what is detected and what is cleaned. The free and paid version both detect and clean up the same malware.
I recommend to scan regularly (say, once a week) with MBAM (quick scan).
Besides that it is important to keep all software (Windows and other) up to date. Don't forget Java, Adobe and so on.

Yeah I after I did the upgrade install of windows, I literally had 53 updates to install, I'm was surprised that windows update didnt find these, or tell me i needed them until now, or does it have to re-download after the install? Im wondering if that was my problem all along, windows updates not coming through like they should. But now all is ok in the world of my lovely windows computer. :D Again, cant thank you enough, I'll keep ya posted, being new to the forum i dont know if you want to mark this solved or not? but Id say for now It is solved. :)

#12 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

New Malware scan:
Posted Image

I see more popping up as it continues, why did malwarebytes not find any of this? or any of the virus programs I've used, I scanned with Trend Micro and MSE just last night, throughout the night, neither found anything.

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,576 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:21 PM

To clarify, did this pop up spontaneously? If so, we'll move this topic to the malware removal section and do a few scans.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

To clarify, did this pop up spontaneously? If so, we'll move this topic to the malware removal section and do a few scans.

If you mean spontaneously as in on it's own then no. I ran the scan manually. It is an Emsisoft Online Maleware scan. If the topic needs to be moved than do so cause this is worrying me. More are popping up as the scan continues.

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,576 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:32 PM

Okay, in that case, can you post me the file locations of the detected files?

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users