Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to reinstall but have no enter key

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skullins

skullins

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:27 PM

So I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1545 running Win7 Ultimate. Tonight out of nowhere my enter key stopped working, along with some other ones. I tried taking off the key and cleaning but this did nothing. I tried a reboot but after showing the initial dell boot screen the machine started beeping and is now asking me to select the operating system. Problem is my enter key won't work so I can't select it. I was going to reinstall but can't do that either because I can't choose to boot from disc without the enter key.

Any ideas on what to do here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Are you trying to use the enter key on the main part of the keyboard? If so, have you tried the OTHER enter key-the one over to the right where the numeric keypad is?

Posted Image

#3 skullins

skullins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:29 PM

Well I don't have the numeric pad on this laptop so only have the main enter key. I'm guessing I'll have to try and use a usb keyboard but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get one. Was hoping maybe there was another way instead of buying one just for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users