Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory problem, trying to figure out what is causing the error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pominator

pominator

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

Done some tests on a PC that was having problems and finally found errors with memtest86+.

1. It have 2 stick total so I removed the second one and memtest did not reported errors anymore. So I buyed a new stick to replace the defective one but I soon got another error in Windows. A new test with memtest86+ shown me that their still having error.

2. If I test the memory individually, no error. Errors only onccur when both are installed.

3. Updated BIOS and set optimized default. Did set the memory speed and timing accordingly to the manufacturer specs and their is still errors. (200 MHz 3-3-3-8)

4. I installed a fan on the chipset heatsink and also on the passivelly cooled vga card. Error now still occured but far less often. Also checked and the chipset heatsink is well fixed.

5. CPU test ok with Prime95 (Large FFTs). PSU test ok with an Antec PSU tester.

The only thing I have in mind is that it could be the RAM that is overheating (when running in dual channel, etc.) or the motherboard that is defective. Is it common for ram to overheat? Please share your experience. Thanks in advance.

The RAM : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820141307&cm_re=KVR400X64C3A/1G-_-20-141-307-_-Product

Motherboard : ASRock P4I65G (Intel i848/i865 chipset)
CPU : Pentium 4 3.0C
Memory : 2X Kingston ValueRAM 1GB KVR400X64C3A/1G
Graphic : AMD HD 3450 AGP passive (fan added)
PSU : The Best Power MT-500P 500W

Edit : I can't disable dual channel in the BIOS. I also tried some voltage settings for chipset and memory (low/high) with no change. Now back on default.

Edited by pominator, 05 December 2010 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:09 PM

Have you tried switching the modules in the different slots to see if the slot may be at fault?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pominator

pominator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

Not yet. I wasn't thinking that I could run the computer with only one stick in the slot #2. I currently test with a big fan pointed toward inside the computer case with no errors so far. Will try your maneuver after this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users