Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows vista upgrade to 7 or downgrade to XP?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maihara

maihara

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

Hi there,

I'm sorting out a Christmas present to my step dad who has been very good to me this year and i'm running up against some problems.

He has a windows vista PC that is causing him no end of problems. Viruses everywhere, problems with certain functions etc so i said i'd sit down over christmas and completely wipe everything for him and start again.

I'm going to back up everything onto my external HDD. I will scan the contents with malwarebytes and AVG. Will this be good enough to make sure i'm not reinfecting his machine with his personal files?

The next step is to reformat the drive and delete everything. This should get rid of any virus i hope. Unless there is something in the master boot record right? Is there a way I can check this?

Finally my last question is which OS to put on the system?

Vista is pretty terrible i think and would be the last resort
XP is great and i have a Boot CD for my laptop that i can use. Would this be possible?
windows 7 could work but as a pretty poor student i cant afford the 70 price tag. But i might be able to get hold of a copy form someone although again i'm not sure if this will work. Dont really want to use an illegal OS as im sure the downsides are pretty big like no windows updates.

So to summarise:
1)will AVG and malwarebytes make sure his personal files arent infected?
2)how can i check the MBR is virus free?
3)which windows would be best to reinstall?

Thanks for all your help,

James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

If you format, you don't have to worry about MBR.

Vista is pretty terrible

On infected computer, any OS will be terrible.

Dont really want to use an illegal OS

No, you don't.

There is no reason for going back to XP, 2 years old operating system.

If you can't afford buying Windows 7, formatting and reinstalling Vista will do just fine.

will AVG and malwarebytes make sure his personal files arent infected?

No security program will do, if the user doesn't play responsibly.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

x2 for windows 7.

#4 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply. Useful points there.

If you can't afford buying Windows 7, formatting and reinstalling Vista will do just fine.

Re-installing vista will be a problem because we dont have the CD as this is when Dell decided to stop shipping Boot OS CDs. I have the XP one from my older Dell which is why this may be a better option. Plus it would run so fast right? I guess there could be some driver compatibility issues, or have i got that wrong?

No security program will do, if the user doesn't play responsibly.

Sorry i think i confused you here. I meant once i've taken my step-dads files off his PC and put them onto my external HDD. How can i check the external HDD for any viruses to prevent passing on more infections. Would an AVG scan and a malwarebytes scan of his personal files on the external HDD/the whole drive be enough or can i/should i take more precautions?

Thanks again!
James

x2 for windows 7.

Sorry i dont understand, do you think windows 7 would be the best option?

Thanks,
James

Edited by maihara, 05 December 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

Would an AVG scan and a malwarebytes scan of his personal files on the external HDD/the whole drive be enough

Yes.

Re-installing vista will be a problem because we dont have the CD

Most likely, your computer has recovery partition, which you can access by pressing CTRL+F11 at Dell's logo.
You can also order recovery DVDs from Dell.
You still may have a program on your Dell to create recovery DVDs.

As for going from Vista to XP, I won't comment, because I don't even touch this subject. Too many issues to deal with.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:39 PM

I think the which os is best debate is personal.

#7 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Sorry to reopen this topic, let me know if i need to start a new question...

i'm now trying to do a complete reinstall of his windows vista on a dell inspiron 1520
so we dont have a windows vista CD.
so i thought i would try and use the recovery partition. BUT ctrl+F11 doesnt work at the Dell logo

thought i'd check the disk management and see if there was a recovery partiition. See here: http://i.imgur.com/YQiCO.jpg

It looks like there is a recovery partiiton but ctrl+F11 doesnt work for some reason.

SO is there something else i can do OR shall i try and reinstall using my XP cd?

Thanks,
James

#8 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

breaking news.... step dad had a vista CD all along!

so now everything seems ok but quick question...

when reinstalling i deleted the OS partition and then created a new one for the reinstall.
Shall i delete the recovery partition or the media direct partition in case there is virus on there??

Thanks,
james

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users