Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp unable to enter standby or hibernation mode

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 maihara

maihara

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hello there,

I have a windows xp SP3 dell inspiron 6400 laptop.
Keep my computer looked after, very rarely getting any viruses etc.

However, recently my computer has been unable to go into standby.

by this i mean that my computer appears to go through the normal steps: Blue screen pops up and says "preparing to enter standby mode" and then the screen goes blank.

However the power light does not fluctaute from on to off which is what happens normally in standby. Instead it just stays permanently on.

And when i press the power button to reawaken my computer nothing happens. I have to focibly turn it off by holding the power button.

Hibernation also seems to be affected. Blue screen pops up saying that the computer is preparing to hibernate but nothing happens after that.

Any idea what might be happening?

Thank you,
James

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

Try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

Try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

The difficulty with using system restore is that the problem has been around for 2/3 weeks now. So i would have to restore a long time ago. Is there a chance i might cause more problems than i solve by restoring to a period so long ago?

If i restore to say the 1st November when everything was fine what will be removed? Obvously things like photos, documents are all fine. is it things like windows updates that are changed?

So i'm prepared, what would i need to do once i have restored my system? run windows update? update AVG or anything like that?

Sorry for the rookie questions and Thanks again,
James

Edited by maihara, 05 December 2010 - 05:26 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

Any thing that you added after the restore date would be lost, it there is a restore date that far back.

Once the restore has been done AVG will update itself. If you are set up for automatic updates for Windows that should update itself as well. Any thing else that was manually installed will need to be installed again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:21 AM

Any thing that you added after the restore date would be lost, it there is a restore date that far back.

Once the restore has been done AVG will update itself. If you are set up for automatic updates for Windows that should update itself as well. Any thing else that was manually installed will need to be installed again.

OK i went for it and restored it back to the 1st November. Still had the same problem.

Does this mean its more of a hardware unfixable fault? damn

thank you,
James

EDIT: noticed that my wireless LAN card is causing some problems. I can't disable it and when i do my computer is unable to shutdown normally. Gets stuck on the "shutting down" screen. Not sure if its related. Anything i can do to check that?

Edited by maihara, 06 December 2010 - 06:53 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:49 AM

Please try the following:

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.

* Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
* Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
* When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
* Insert blank CD and click OK.
* The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.

Run chkdsk.

* Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
* Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
* After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
You should now be at the Tool options screen.
* Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
* Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
* When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
* Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

#7 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

Thanks again for all your help,

I did as you suggested and i have attached a photo of the results.

I'd like to give more information if possible although again i'm not sure if its relevant. I was attempting to disable my wireless card in network connections and enable my LAN card instead. (I've been having a seperate issue with udpating my iphone which is causing itunes to crash mid download and i thought i would try lan line instead). Anyway the process doing the enabling or disabling crashed. I then tried to restart my computer and the shut down process could not be completed, it appeared to get stuck on the shutdown blue screen. After a succesful reboot I then tried to disable the card in device manager but that crashed device manager and the same restart/shutdown problem occured. SO my wirless card i causing some bizarre problems. Not sure if its relevant but thought i'd tell you.

Thanks again,
James

Attached Files

#8 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

Any more ideas?

Was the checkdisk ok?

Thanks,
James

#9 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

Hi there,

Firstly i should say that i have another topic on here at the moment but i'm not sure the two problems are connected.
(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic365040.html)

The problem i'm having is that i can't disable my wireless network connection or my local area connection or my 1394 adapter in network settings.
If i right click and select disable absolutely nothing happens.
If i go through device manager, it causes device manager to crash.

I'm really confused why this is happening and how I can get it to stop happening.

Thank you,
James

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

Chkdsk did find free space in the Master File Table marked as allocated and corrected this. Did this make any difference with your problem?

How to you access the Internet? I see that you have a wireless card, so I presume that you are using a wireless router?

If this is the case, then why are you trying to change the settings?

#11 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Chkdsk did find free space in the Master File Table marked as allocated and corrected this. Did this make any difference with your problem?

unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped

How to you access the Internet? I see that you have a wireless card, so I presume that you are using a wireless router?

If this is the case, then why are you trying to change the settings?

It's a bit of a long story but i was downloading something and wanted to see how much faster a direct cable link to the router would be. And so i enabled my LAN card and disabled my wireless card. Different things crashed and then my computer kept getting stuck shutting down/restarting in a similar fashion to the standby problem. So i thought there might be a link there? I've put this as a separate question in the forum in case they're not related.

Thanks again,
James

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

Enter the BIOS...disable any onboard function you like.

Louis

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

It would be best to have the information in one topic as they may be related. It will only add confusion if you have two topics open at the same time with the same computer.

Edited by elise025, 12 December 2010 - 01:09 PM.
I merged both topics ~ Elise

#14 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

It would be best to have the information in one topic as they may be related. It will only add confusion if you have two topics open at the same time with the same computer.

oh really? sorry about that.

will remember for the future

#15 maihara

maihara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

Enter the BIOS...disable any onboard function you like.

ok so i tried that and it removed them from my network connections folder. But stuff still crashes when i try to disable any "connection" in that folder.

I guess the problem is not to do with that i "cant" disable these connections, its more to do with the fact that it's really strange that disabling causes shutdown problems and things to crash which may be linked with the fact that i cant use standby. And i really like standby.

so any more ideas? Will uninstalling and re-installing the drivers do anything?

Thanks,
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users