Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:15 AM
Hello! I am having some problems and am unsure if they are related or not, so I don't really know where to post them. Hopefully someone can help or direct me to the right area. I am on a laptop with Windows 5.1, Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.
- I don't know how to update them because my Windows Update does not work. I get this message:
The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. Take the following steps to try solving the problem:
Refresh the page.
In Internet Explorer, delete your Temporary Internet Files by going to the Tools menu and clicking Internet Options.
Close and then re-open Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer (Add-ons Disabled) mode only prevents the use of ActiveX controls, including those used by the Microsoft Update website. To get updates using this browser mode, you need to turn on Automatic Updates on your computer or visit the Windows Update website. (I have deleted Temporary Internet Files, and when I check on Automatic Updates in control panel it is on.)
- When I click on Google or Yahoo links I am redirected every time to an advertisement. If I type the website in the address bar, often (but not every time) the correct page will load and come up, but an error message appears in a gray box saying internet explorer cannot display.
- Most times when I open my laptop, there will be an error message about Generic Host and there are options to Debug or Cancel. I always click Debug.
- My browser does not always have tabs and the volume control does not work. I have to go to Start, Run, services.msc, and start Windows Audio every time I use my laptop.
- I have Symantec Endpoint Protection and have run the full scan twice in the last few days and it does not find any problems. I had older versions of Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware on my computer. I removed them and installed the updated versions, however, they will not run. When I double-click them, the hourglass comes up for about a second, then nothing happens.
I have searched for tips on how to solve these problems, but unfortunately because I am redirected whenever I click a link, I am having a hard time finding information. Also, I would hate to create more problems by attempting to fix the issues on my own.
Thank you for reading! Any help would be greatly appreciated!