Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB stick

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:34 AM

Morning guys, I downloaded virtual pc and windows XP mode to a windows 7 32 bit pc so the pc could hopefully run Quicken and a check writing business program. I can't get the XP mode to see the usb stick? anyone know what I am doing wrong? Another pc running xp can see the usb stick. I am at a loss as what to try.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Virtual PC (and XP mode) does not have USB support.

From Virtual PC's help:

"You can access removable drives on the host operating system, such as USB–connected hard drives and Zip drives, by using shared folders. For more information about setting up shared folders for use between a host operating system and a virtual machine, see Managing shared folders for virtual machines."

If you had an actual XP product key (instead of XP mode, which is free if you have Windows 7), you could install XP in VirtualBox, which has USB support.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 05 December 2010 - 09:37 AM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:37 AM

Morning guys, I downloaded virtual pc and windows XP mode to a windows 7 32 bit pc so the pc could hopefully run Quicken and a check writing business program. I can't get the XP mode to see the usb stick? anyone know what I am doing wrong? Another pc running xp can see the usb stick. I am at a loss as what to try.

Which version of Quicken are you using? Quicken 2008 and later should run straight up on Windows 7 with no need for VPC.

#4 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

It's Quicken Home and business, probably pre 2008, I'll check out the "Shared folders" option, the client has a Seagate external hdd which may have the info from Quicken but not the program installed. Any other suggestions are welcome, Thanks.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

You could always try Compatibility Mode.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#6 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

Hello audioAl in Xp/mode you have to click on the USB Tab at the top left corner of your desktop and select the USB device you wish to use, after you click on it a window will open telling you this is a shared USB device if you want to use it, it will be disconnected from your host machine in order to use in your virtual machine, click yes then your found new hardware manager will tell you when its ready to use.Just open my computer and select it from your Devices with Removable Storage. When your finished using it click on USB again and release it. You don't have to set up shared folders to use a usb stick in Virtual Machine XP/Mode, Cheers

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:33 AM

Thanks Sleepwalker, I'll give that a try,Alan

#8 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

Well, I will find out if I can load this usb stick into the virtual XP mode today and will report back for BC users, Thanks Alan

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:58 AM

Virtual PC (and XP mode) does not have USB support.

From Virtual PC's help:

"You can access removable drives on the host operating system, such as USB–connected hard drives and Zip drives, by using shared folders. For more information about setting up shared folders for use between a host operating system and a virtual machine, see Managing shared folders for virtual machines."

If you had an actual XP product key (instead of XP mode, which is free if you have Windows 7), you could install XP in VirtualBox, which has USB support.

Not anymore the latest version of Microsoft’s Virtual PC/XP/Mode free with Windows 7 does have USB support along with CTR-ALT-DEL and many more features as this review clearly states with enthusiastic approval of the reviewer check out Windows XP/Mode for Windows 7 I just want to add this version came out with Windows 7

Edited by sleepwalker, 16 December 2010 - 02:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users