Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network printing - sudden problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wibble2

wibble2

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:37 AM

I have just been through a bleepingcomputer diagnosis for a suspected virus infection. I was asked to run several pieces of diagnositic software, and I think that one of these may have changed something on my PC which is now stopping my network printing from working on my Vista PC. (It turned out that my PC was not infected.)

The printer is an Epson C86 actually connected to a remote Windows 2000 PC. I print from my local Vista PC and this has worked OK for the last couple of years.

NOW when I send a print from my Vista PC I get a Interactive Service Dialog from the Epson driver (on the vista PC) saying there is "Insufficient disk space", and the document is not printed. This happens whether or not the Windows 2000 PC is switched on.

There is over 1GB of free space on the Windows 2000 C drive, and several GB free on my Vista PC C drive, so the error message is inaccurate.

My guess is that one of the diagnostic programs I was asked to run has changed something on my Vista PC (perhaps a folder removed or its permissions changed, or maybe the privileges of the printer driver changed, etc) which is preventing the epson driver creating or writing to a file, and the driver is just displaying a blanket error message.

I guess if I knew which folders/files the printer driver tries to write to then I might have a chance of fixing the problem.

I noticed that when I send a print from my Vista PC, 3 files get created in C:\windows\temp which are all 0 bytes in length. I don't know whether this is significant.

Has anyone seen this problem before, knows how to fix it, or knows what folders and permissions to check for?

Edited by wibble2, 05 December 2010 - 07:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

Try the simplest approach first. Uninstall the printer driver and the printer from the Vista computer and reinstall.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 wibble2

wibble2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:40 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have already tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers twice before I posted the problem.

I also tried a system restore but the earliest one was in the middle of the bleepingcomputer tools, so I guess one of the earlier changes had caused the problem.

#4 wibble2

wibble2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to find the cause of this. It could be anything from folder permissions to a registry entry.

So I've bitten the bullet and started to reinstall Windows.

I've now made it a cardinal rule to make a image of my C drive once a month. It's by far the quickest way of escaping from infections and avoiding any additional problems that the diagnositic tools might cause.

But I'll need a very large external hard drive because my Vista C drive had grown to 65 GB used - goodness knows why it was so huge as I had didn't have that many appliations installed. The original installation of Vista was only about 5 GB.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:36 PM

make sure to adjust your dives restore points size in Vista. The default (I believe) is to automatically size which can eat up a lot of space. set it to something reasonable like 2 GB max.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users