Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD brands

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 xDWolfy

xDWolfy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

I was looking into getting some pretty BIG hard drives for christmas, as external and internal HDD's are dropping drastically in price now that people are going on about Solid State Drives. I was just wondering which brand of hard drive has the best products when they get into the Terrabyte range? I'm not after an uber fast read/write speed, since I'll only use it to back up my files occaisionally (of which there are a lot.) but I'd like something small and reliable. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:13 PM

They are pretty much the same if you stick with major manufacturers. They will all occasionally produce a doa, that's all part of mass production. I would look to the one that has the longest warranty. That simple.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:54 AM

Well, you could consider the Seagate FreeAgent Go series of External HDDs. Comes with a 5yr warranty.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:22 PM

Two other suggestion`s I, as well as others may make when suggesting an external drive are that they have a fan and use an external power source. = Do not rely on the USB connection to the PC for power.

I know one more cord to manage and have to hook-up can be a hassle but well worth the little extra effort IMO.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

I have a Western Digital 500gb. It has a power cord and I dropped it on a hardwood floor from waist level (I am 5'10") and it still works. I would stick with western digital or seagate.

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 12:56 PM

I lost so many internal Seagate drives to heat problems that I switched everything to Western Digital. Seagate may have improved the products in the meantime, but I won't use them again.

#7 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:25 PM

As dc3 said, stick with the major brands.

Go to a place like Newegg, Tiger Direct, Amazon, etc and read the reviews of any model you are considering. You will see that each manufacturer comes out once in a while with a particular model that proves to be a real dud and have an abnormally high failure rate. Look for models with at least 50 reviews and less than 10% of reviews being in the lowest rating (i.e. 1 egg at newegg). You will see some models that have a 30% - 40% rate of failure among the reviews, it is best to avoid them.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

The User reviews are a nice feature with Newegg, but, not knowing the level of knowledge of the User\Reviewer, the fact that they rate themselves in the level of knowledge :whistle: they have usually leads me to take most with a grain of salt. <_<

#9 xDWolfy

xDWolfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:39 AM

Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions guys! I've pretty much narrowed it down to a split decision, really. It's a tie in between the Samsung S2 and the WD My Passport. I chose these two because I need a lot of space and portability. I'm still open to other suggestions, but these two seem to meet my criteria well. I need them, mainly as a way to backup a lot of files on my pc (391GB to be exact.) but also as a way to transfer work to and from college. Being a Media Studies student tends to have the drawback of large HD movies and shooting in RAW footage on DSLR's, which means large file sizes, which means I need a crud load of space :P

Anyone have any specific suggestions in the region of 500GB - 2tb? :) Thanks again.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:04 AM

Well...if you are going to rely on one drive for all storage needs...it makes sense to get the largest you can afford.

Louis

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:48 AM

When you start looking at external hdds it would help to know that the is a difference between an external hdd, and a portable hdd.

The external hdd has an external power source, it doesn't use the USB port for its power. This means that if you wish to use this in another location you will need a recetacle (wall plug).

The portable hdd depends on the USP port for its power. Not needing the external power supply this hdd can be used any place you would normally use a battery powered laptop, hence portable.

Edited by dc3, 07 December 2010 - 10:51 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 xDWolfy

xDWolfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:27 PM

Ah, right, thanks DC3, I didn't actually know there was a difference between the two, just assumed that they were both the same thing.

Still looking into it, I have a while before I need to backup my PC anywho. :) Keep the suggestions comming if you can!

#13 Toki Wartooth

Toki Wartooth

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

xDWolfy, an easy way to tell if it will need an external power supply is if it's a 3.5" HD (the not as portable kind). If it's a really slim external HD using a 2.5" drive (the kind you're looking at I believe) then it won't come with a power supply, though it may need extra power provided through another USB port (1 to transfer data and another 1 to power the drive). This isn't always the case. I myself haven't needed to use extra power on a 2.5" external HD but I have gotten hard drives with a Y-split USB cable just in case it needs more power.

For me, I find it cheaper to make the external HD by buying an internal HD and an enclosure. This way I can use eSATA connections too. ;)

#14 xDWolfy

xDWolfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

Toki that isn't a bad idea, but there're a few silly little problems; by doing that, wouldn't I need to open my PC case and use a cable from the powersupply in order to give it enough power? Also, I don't have the technical skill to do something like that :( I also noticed the difference between drives (well, I realised that 3.5 would need more power than 2.5 but I didn't realise 3.5 wasn't portable) and I'd be usng the HDD on a MAC Mini and an iMac, as well as a PC, so I think it'd have to be USB D:

EDIT: Also, nice name choice! Deathclock ruuuules :D Haha

Edited by xDWolfy, 10 December 2010 - 05:28 PM.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

.....wouldn't I need to open my PC case and use a cable from the powersupply in order to give it enough power?

Nope. When an external power source is referenced it means it would come with it`s own AC\DC adapter. One end plugs into the external drive, the other into a standard wall outlet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users