Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do next? I think I removed it...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cumene

cumene

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I run Windows 7, 32bit. About a week ago, I noticed a strange folder in the recently accessed list when I right clicked Windows Explorer (screen print: http://i53.tinypic.com/xppohe.png). What was worrying was that its location was supposedly on my desktop (yet there was nothing there; when I click on it a message tells me "Windows is trying to locate it"), it had 0 bytes and no accessed/modified/created stats. Thinking I had a virus/malware of some sort, I ran all my scans (SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM, Dr Web) in safe mode where only SuperAntiSpyware was able to pick up a trojan on my computer (in a C drive file and the registry) and remove it. I ran the scans again, and everything came up clean.

Despite removing the trojan entry, the folder popped up again in my recently accessed list, so my computer guy reinstalled Windows and reformatted C drive only yesterday (all my music/videos are located on the D and E drives). Previously, I was internet browsing on the account with administrative rights, so it seemed safe to set up a standard account to browse the web with. The data on the E/D drives appears on both accounts.

Cut to today: all is running smoothly yet the folder popped up in the accessed list once again. The folder only appears in my standard user account. Did the same scans and everything's clean.

My internet browsing experience is fine - i.e. no google redirect and so on, and no one else uses this computer.

I'm not sure what my next step should be. Should I also completely wipe/reformat all drives and reinstall Windows once again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by cumene, 05 December 2010 - 01:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cumene

cumene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:22 AM

Bump.

#3 cumene

cumene