Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup after virus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shooter84

Shooter84

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:41 PM

Ill start by saying I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question so feel free to move it if its not. I was recently infected by something. Not really sure what but that's not the point. I went out and bought a new hard drive and windows 7 to start anew. My question is what is the best way to get the old "stuff" that I need / want off of the old hard drive and onto the new one. As of now I have the new drive installed with windows 7 and everything is running great. I'm not really sure how to go about this please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:09 AM

If your computer has been infected with malware and you need to back up data to transfer to another computer, you can back up all your important documents, personal data files, photos to a CD or DVD drive, not a flash drive or external hard drive as they may become compromised in the process. The safest practice is not to backup any executable files (*.exe), screensavers (*.scr), dynamic link library (*.dll), autorun (.ini) or script files (.php, .asp, .htm, .html, .xml) files because they may be infected by malware. Avoid backing up compressed files (.zip, .cab, .rar) that have executables inside them as some types of malware can penetrate compressed files and infect the .exe files within them. Other types of malware may even disguise itself by hiding a file extension or adding to the existing extension as shown here (click Figure 1 to enlarge) so be sure you look closely at the full file name. If you cannot see the file extension, you may need to reconfigure Windows to show file name extensions. Then make sure you scan the backed up data with your anti-virus prior to to copying it back to your hard drive.

If your CD/DVD drive is unusable, another word of caution if you are considering backing up to an external usb hard drive as your only alternative. External drives are more susceptible to infection and can become compromised in the process of backing up data. I'm not saying you should not try using such devices but I want to make you aware of all your options and associated risks so you can make an informed decision if its worth that risk.Again, do not back up any files with the following file extensions: exe, .scr, .dll, .ini, .htm, .html, .php, .asp, .xml, .zip, .rar, .cab as they may be infected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Shooter84

Shooter84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

Right now I only have one hard drive hooked up so I could at least use my computer and find out my next step. I'm planning on hooking the infected hard drive back up to backup these files. Are there any programs you recommend for doing this or should I use windows or do it as if I where burning a file to a DVD? Is zipping these files with a program like win zip a good idea. Also after I burn these files to my dvd's should I scan them whit something to insure they are not infected? If so what should I scan them with. Thanks for the help

Edited by Shooter84, 05 December 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:55 PM

I back up my files with either Nero or Easy CD creator.

You should scan them with your anti-virus and anti-malware programs before restoring them to another hard drive.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users