Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninterruptible Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 awaitingjourneysend

awaitingjourneysend

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:09 PM

I need a UPS thats designed to maintain a 12 volt battery in a non-computer environment. Rather than using those cheapie auto battery trickle chargers that do not float a battery at a high enough voltage to maintain a battery for years, it was suggested that I use a UPS.

Years ago, UPS companies used to state on their packages and sales literature that the internal batteries they used were 12 volts. Today, with the exception of several UPS models specifically stating that they use 24 volt and 48 volt batteries (multiple 12 volters in series?), I can't find any specifically noting that their batteries are 12 volts. Has this voltage become the standard such that no one even bothers to state it anymore?

Thanks for any info!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:40 PM

I have replaced several and all are 12 volt sealed lead acid. At work we use auto style batteries for our staion radios. I'll look and let you know what type of charging system we use. We have been using these batteries since '94.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 awaitingjourneysend

awaitingjourneysend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:45 AM

Thanks much. m
Started as a CTX P2, but changed over time; AMD DURON XP 1600 MHz, 1GB mem, Syntax SV266A(D) mobo, WD 250 GB IDE, ATI Radeon 8500 A-I-W & Radeon 9250 (1 crt & 1 lcd), WinXP-SP2, Opera9, IE7 & compuserve4.0.2, Spysweeper and AdAware SE.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:02 AM

I have since found information on that topic.

http://www.mastec.co.nz/Tripplite/Tripplit...20Chargers.html

http://www.tripplite.com/products/inverters/index.cfm
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 awaitingjourneysend

awaitingjourneysend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:25 PM

Apologies for not getting back sooner. Thanks very much. Great info!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users