Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot enable Windows Firewall or Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spedlady52

spedlady52

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

I cannot enable either the Windows Firewall or the Automatic Updates. Each time I try, I get this error message, "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy". I followed the instructions in the tutorial about how to configure the firewall and there is no checkbox by "Protect my computer from...." when I click on the Advanced tab. I'm totally locked out. All I get is the "Group Policy" error message. I have Malwarebytes and Spybot installed and update and run each of them weekly. I also have McAfee Security Center installed through Comcast (my service provider). I think that I have tracked it down to somewhere in the registry but that's as far as I've been able to get. The IT at work says running ComboFix should help clear things up. Is he right? If so, how do I download ComboFix? Do I need to uninstall McAfee if I do?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
spedlady52

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

The IT at work says running ComboFix should help clear things up. Is he right?

Hi spedlady52 -
In my opinion "Not unless supervised by an expert" - Combofix is not like Malwarebytes or SUPERAntiSpyware , where you just install , update and off you go -
It is a special Tool that is used only in special cases once an expert knows your history and exact problem -
It also needs to be fully uninstalled after use -

Thank You -

#3 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

From that error message id say your network administrator has changed policies, doesnt look like a standard virus error message

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users