Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot delete earthlink sotware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lowki11.

Lowki11.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:38 PM

I am having a very difficult time removing this problem software from my computer.

It is Earthlink software, ( from a ISP provider) I stopped using this program and their services about 2 years ago.

Recently i have done some cleanup on my desktop, i tried to uninstall through add/remove programs. The program would not allow me. The program i am referring to is there Earthlink accelerator program. I had to resort to deleting these files manually and have ran into some problems.

Whenever i open any folder at all my windows installer tries to install this program although it has been deleted. Which wouldn't be a problem except for the fact i cannot install anything else until this program is installed.

It is very annoying

Steps that i have taken:
Contacted Earthlink, They were unable to diagnose this problem.

Deleted all registry values for the earthlink software.

Downloaded process explorer so i can see the threads and current installations of my windows installer. Killed all threads and current processes under the misexec.dll tab. (windows installer file)

also there are two files i cannot delete because it says they are protected these are: prplsf.dll and
prpl IeBlocker.dll

I am at wits end with this very annoying software. Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 06 December 2010 - 08:47 AM.
Moved from XP to Am i Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

Try this. A lot of us use it and it works great.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

#3 Lowki11.

Lowki11.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:47 PM

I was able to delete all earthlink programs with the above listed program. Unfortunately upon forced removal of the programs all of my network connections were crippled so i had to do a restore.

Even though i did get these programs deleted, it did not fix the problem of my windows installer still running anytime i tried to open any folder.

So my problem is, how come windows installer is installing a program that i did not ask for it to install? How do i keep it from installing these programs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users