Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please please help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whatup2008

whatup2008

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

so that I can use the cdrom on one to install the OS on the other, which the cdrom has 'died'. I have the os on a cruzer mini flash usb, and I went to the bios to change or see how to boot from it, but nothing there. Not much it seems I can do in the bios anyway. Just need to connect the cdrom to the other computer and what settings I need to manipulate to do that. I tried the 'network wizard' and that fizzled out, not sure if I did that right. I connected the ethernet to both laps, (thought I read you could do that) but that didn't work. Help very much appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max7bg

max7bg

• Banned
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

Hi,

- Go into the BIOS
- Go to the page that determines the boot order (usually called "Advanced Setup", "Boot options", or "Feature Setup")
- Try all USB drive variants. Start with "USB ZIP", then "USB FDD", "USB HDD ", etc.

If you cannot figure out this, than when you turn on your computer press F12 repedeatly; When menu shows try all USB drive variants. Start with "USB ZIP", then "USB FDD", "USB HDD ", etc. Also try HARD DISK variant because sometimes USB is shown there...

Hope this help

Max

Edited by max7bg, 05 December 2010 - 07:05 AM.

#3 whatup2008

whatup2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

thanks max, the usb came up in bios but it wouldn't boot. I ordered a Toshiba UltraSlim External USB 2.0 DVD SuperMulti Drive and should be here tomorrow. This should solve my problem, maybe I can get 5 good years out of the new drive like I did with the one in my lap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users