Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Install and Activation Question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kev9982

kev9982

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hello, I have a question about an old XP disk that I have. It was provided to my girlfriend while she was in college, by the university, but she never used it. I have the product key, however, the disk says it is "unlicensed". If I install it I am assuming that it will not pass windows authentication. If it does not, does anyone know if I can purchase a license, or has Microsoft stopped selling XP licenses? I couldn't seem to track down an answer on their site. If so, would this cost as much as buying Windows 7? I would prefer to keep XP, because my computer is older, and I am working on building a new one, which I will purchase Windows 7 for. This is a work in progress, and for financial reasons has to be done a little at a time. In the mean time, I have no desktop, because my current installation of windows has become unusable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

Hi -
Is the CD branded as unlicensed , or have you attempted to install it and you get a message saying it is unlicensed -
Keep in mind that it may be a BartPE CD , which is a copy of XP and not able to be licensed , but they are able to be used as a "recovery CD" -
Links to these items are in Google under BartPE - These are good recovery CD's but they are not able to be licensed -

Thank You -

#3 kev9982

kev9982
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

No, I have not attempted to install it. I believe it is an actual Windows XP install disk, with a product code sticker. The disk itself says "Includes Service Pack 1" and "Version 2002". On the sticker, under the product key and "Don't lose this number!" it says "Unlicensed software". Since it was provided to students at my girlfriend's university, I was thinking it was under a special license agreement provided for academic use, etc. I'm wondering if Microsoft is going to allow me to purchase a license for this software if it won't authenticate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users