Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser stops loading with "2 items remaining....

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 1timcarter

1timcarter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:02 PM

This is one of several small problems I'm having. Here's my system info:

Pentium 4 (AMD)
Windows 98 4.10.1998
512M memory
40G hd with 2 partitions FAT32 Each about 1/4 full
60G hd with 1 partition FAT32 About 1/2 full

On many web pages, it will load most of the page, but stop short of loading all of it. The bar at the bottom of the page will stop with something like:

"(2 items remaining) opening page [url="http://www......etc.""]http://www......etc."[/url]

The progress bar just to the right of this is still in sight also. Sometimes I can look around the page and see that some graphic is obviously missing. I have a JPG of a screenshot that shows the problem if it will help.

Thanks for any help,

Tim
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:09 PM

Hi 1timcarter, Did you try to hitting "Refresh" BTW Good job on the addition of your system info. :thumbsup: And when is the last time you de-fragged and or cleaned out your cache? It may not help, but it would not hurt. :flowers:

Edited by scarlett, 16 October 2004 - 02:25 PM.

Posted Image

#3 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the try, but, yep. Every time I refresh, it stops at the same point. Some pages have 1 item remaining, and other pages have more. When refreshed, it always stops on the same number it stopped on before.

Another problem I'm having that may or may not be related is that when I try to download a file (window pops up that asked if you want to save/ open/etc.) it won't download it. It starts to, then the big red X warning pops up that says:

Internet explorer cannot download.....xxxxxxxxx
Internet explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later.

This happens often when trying to open a PDF document, but also happens when trying to download a program. These are sites that I know work. I can go to my other computer and download them right after this happens. I AM able to open some pdf docs, and can always open them if attached in email.

Thanks, we'll keep trying.

Tim
Posted Image

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:49 PM

Do you you have any SpyWare Removal, Anti Virus, or Firewall Programs?
Posted Image

#5 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2004 - 05:17 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I have cable with a linksys router, NAV, and use adaware, spybot s&d, and spyware Blaster. I also had some other problems with this computer a few months ago, and came to this forum to get them cleaned up. I submitted HJT logs and got it cleaned up. These other problems were going on before that to some extent, and have been worse lately, but I don't think they are/were related to anything we did then. I also use a VPN connection that hasn't been working, but again this has been going on for some time.

Tim
Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 01:33 PM

Assuming you are using Internet Explorer, you might attempt a "repair."
Try using a different browser, such as Opera, Mozilla, or Firefox; these my work better than IE.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 18 October 2004 - 01:34 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2004 - 06:13 PM

How would one do a "repair" to IE? Download and install another copy? Don't think that I would have original disks for it if that is required.

I may try one of the other browsers also, but I hate to clutter things up any more than they already are.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Tim
Posted Image

#8 sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:08 AM

How would one do a "repair" to IE?  Download and install another copy?  Don't think that I would have original disks for it if that is required.

I may try one of the other browsers also, but I hate to clutter things up any more than they already are.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Tim

Sorry that idea did not work for you.

Edited by sultan_emerr, 19 October 2004 - 03:22 PM.

#9 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 10:29 AM

Well, that was fun. Ran sfc (but may have run it from the wrong directory. Was in c:\windows\system directory when it ran, so I may have only checked those directories within that) and it found one corrupt file---user.exe. Replaced that with what was in the windows\options\cabs folders and restarted as directed. Computer would not start in either normal or safe mode. Got part way into boot up but fairly early on it would just restart. It would go to the dos options of start up modes. I finally restarted in dos and copied the backed up file of user.exe back to the windows\system directory and it restarts ok now. Not surprisingly, the computer still stops downloading web pages at the same place it did before.

Thanks for the try. I'll try running it again from the root directory, but I don't know where I'll tell it to look for any replacement files in IE that it may find. I also won't replace the user.exe file again.

Tim
Posted Image

#10 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 11:22 AM

Ran sfc again and interestingly, it didn't identify the user.exe file as corrupt, but did add one file to the "Files updated in verification data file" count. Not sure why it did differently this time, but all is back to the way it was before (except I've added an updated backup of C drive with Norton Ghost).

Ready for the next try.

Tim
Posted Image

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:52 PM

I was thinking of just using Uninstall Programs in your settings directory; if you attempt to delete IE, a dialogue box will (at least when I tested it) appear with the option to repair IE.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:59 PM

Yes that is right. It will do a quick scan to check and (or) repair IE.
Posted Image

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

There is an undocumented way of forcing IE to reinstall here:

How to Repair Internet Explorer 6 and Outlook Express

The items that are trying to load, can you tell if they are ads or not?

#14 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 04:34 PM

The items that are trying to load, can you tell if they are ads or not?

I can't really tell for the most part, but in some cases they are graphics. For example, on comcast.net going to email it stops with 1 item remaining, and I think it is buttons along the left side of the screen.

I'll give your repair idea a try. Probably be tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted Image

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2004 - 05:15 PM

Do you have a popup blocker? Try holding down the control key while the page loads. It seems to me that if everything on a page is loading except the last couple of bits, it isn't Explorer that's broken.

If you've blocked an ad on the page, that may be keeping you from opening it. Just a thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users