Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IPv6 v IPv4

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

I am not 100% certain that this query is in the right forum, but I am concerned about the impact IPv6 addressing may have on me. Not as a user of the internet on a personal scale - I trust (?) my ISP to worry about that on my behalf, but I run a couple of small websites for Clubs I am connected with and I am concerned as to whether or not this may impact these web-sites.

Can anybody point me in the direction of source material concerning the impact of IPv6 on small websites, please ?

I have looked at Lawrence Abrams' tutorial on the subject of IP addresses, and, written in 2004, he quite rightly concerned himself with IPv4 addressing.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:17 AM

I run a couple of small websites for Clubs I am connected with and I am concerned as to whether or not this may impact these web-sites

First of all, you don't have to worry for at least next couple of years.
Then, it mostly concerns your hosting company and its servers to be IPv6 ready.
I'm sure, by then, they'll be ready, since they won't want to lose any customers.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for that Broni.

I didn't think the problem was urgent, but forewarned is forearmed !

Chris cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

Sure thing :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users