Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Return To Original

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2-Cups

2-Cups

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hello,

I bought this computer several years ago, and had them (dealer) set it up before I brought it home. They were suppose to tune it up, remove all (or most) of the program advertisements, and so on......which they did. However, when I recieved the computer at home, there were no installation CD's included in the box. I called about this and was told they would try to locate them and send them to me, which never happened.

It's now several years later, and I need to just remove everything from the computer, and do a complete reinstall of Windows XP, but I don't have the CD. I'm not sure if I can use any other Windows CD (such as the Windows 7 included on this computer), but I do need to do something.........that computer is so slow it's miserable to use.

Is there a way to return to the original (new) operating system without the CD? I just want to reload Windows........everything else can be completly wiped out as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks,
2-Cups

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:44 PM

It would help to no end if you were to tell us just what computer you are referring to. Could you post the make and model of this computer?

This forum is for XP operating systems, yet you mention Windows 7. Would you care to clarify what the reference to W7 is about?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 2-Cups

2-Cups
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

Sony Viao VGN-N130G

Windows XP Media Center

About 4-5 years old

I have no installation CD (Windows XP) from that computer, and I want to start over (clean off the hard drive, and reload Windows XP on it again).

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

First of all, you have to backup your data.

Then, you have several options...

1. You may have recovery partition. When your computer starts, press F10 key and see, if it'll give you any options.
2. You can call Sony and request recovery disks.
3. You can borrow Windows XP CD and as long, as you have product key, you can reinstall Windows.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

You can borrow Windows XP CD and as long, as you have product key, you can reinstall Windows.

The installation disk must be the same version as yours, eg. Home or Professional.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

:)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users