Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping laptop monitor!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AL Forester

AL Forester

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

I have a 2007 Dell Precision M4300 'Workstation Class' notebook PC, XP SP2, w/15.4" WXGA built-in flat screen LCD display.

The display stays black on start-up. The problem started a few months ago when the display would hang, then go to a blue screen with the following message:

[BEGIN BLUE SCREEN MESSAGE]
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: nv4_disp

If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

Please check with your hardware devices vendor for any driver updates.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X000000 EA (0X8712F260, 0X87134128, 0XF7CA90CBC, 0X00000001)

nv4_disp
Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
[END BLUE SCREEN MESSAGE]

This was NOT the first time I'd seen the error message so I did a Google search. A senior member at Major Geeks addressed this issue in 2006 and wrote:

[BEGIN MAJOR GEEKS TEXT]
I belive nv4_disp are your nividia display drivers, you may want to see if going into safe mode, and DELETING your nvidia drivers (only your display drivers) fixes the problem.

start --> control panel --> add or remove programs --> nvidia drivers --> DISPLAY DRIVERS ONLY.

Once they are uninstalled try to start windows normally. Windows will load up and use the windows display drivers, as opposed to the nvidia drivers, which seem to be corrupted in your case.

Once you are back in windows, head on over to nvidia and re-install their drivers (I would suggest the most recent WHQL driver, NOT a beta driver). The most current driver for XP can be found here.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_84.21.html
[END MAJOR GEEKS TEXT]

Subsequent posts to the Major Geeks thread suggested that if the above procedure didn't work, then the video card may be going out.

I followed this advice, found a driver at NVIDIA, installed it, and still had the same problem. Hoping it was still just a driver issue, I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and installed a replacement driver from Dell (supposedly the same as the original factory-installed video display driver.)

After installing the Dell driver, the display worked OK for awhile until it started to black-out during use, except for a small square white box where the cursor should be. This occurred whenever I scrolled down quickly using a web browser (Firefox), such as by dragging the scroll bar. However the display would return after hitting ESC a few times and/or jiggling the mouse.

Now, upon boot-up, the screen stays black. I have tried attaching a separate monitor, but since I'm unable to log on to the laptop, the monitor remains undetected. The separate monitor seems to detect the laptop, displaying the messages 'In power save mode' and 'Press any key on keyboard or mouse.' Doing so does not wake it up.

I've also tried establishing a remote desktop connection thru my LAN, but I'm unable to connect due to no logon on the laptop and/or laptop sleep mode.

Signed, Clueless in Prattville

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users