Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SP3 Crashes Toshiba M35-S320, 2004 Vintage Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bsgranpa

bsgranpa

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

It appears that I have a critical conflict with SP3 and the old drivers (mainly the RealTec '97 sound card). I have searched high and low for an up-to-date driver set and it seems that I am doomed to remain at SP2 in order that I can start the computer and operate normally. It came preloaded with XP Home. I purchased XP Pro SP2 for my last re-format and fresh install. I loaded the drivers and have been trouble free for over two months.

However, I continue to worry about not having SP3 due to what I read about susceptibility to a whole world of bad things. What are my options? Am I running a big risk staying at SP2? I have really appreciated the help I've received here in the past. A lot of it had to do with this very machine and my continual problems. Thanks in advance for any guidance for this old geezer.

Edited by bsgranpa, 04 December 2010 - 01:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Satying at SP2 is definitely not ideal and I doubt anyone here would recommend it. How ever since you seem to have issue here with SP3 and the driver does not seem to be readily available ( have you tried the driver available from Realtek??) I would do the following:

1. Use a good anti-virus solution there are a lot of good choices out there some free some not(I use AVG free)

2. Use a good firewall, which is to say not the windows firewall, once again lots of choices ( I use Zonealarm free)

3. Use some good Malware protection, like malwarebytes to scan every so often and use something like the "immunize" from spybot for you PC.

4. If you are directly conecting to you modem adding a router between the computer and the router can help block some attacks as well.

5. Last but not least is nothing works if your web surfing habits are risky so only go when you can have a reasonable idea it should be safe and you can greatly reduce the risk of infecting your computer.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thanks Baltboy. I do, I think, practice safe surfing. Most of the time, I log onto my office computer via a secure connection and do most of my work there on an up to date computer. I will add the additional steps you suggest and keep my fingers crossed. At this stage, I have very little on my laptop, all data is backed up and I am very comfortable with a reformat and fresh install routine.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:54 AM

hi , did you try this driver ,the one for winxp is update 2008 .click on i accept above and it will take you to win7/vista and second ones in the list for win98/xp ect ect
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=23&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Edited by caperjac, 05 December 2010 - 09:56 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

Thank you for the link. Please take a moment to advise me in the steps and sequencing you would take. For example, I recon that I should first back up data. Then, do I first upgrade to SP3 and then uninstall the current driver and then install the new driver? Or, should I install the new driver,see how it works with SP2 and then move to the SP3 install? Also, Microsoft sent me a SP3 disk a month or so ago. Is it better to use the disk for install or is a downloaded version the same? If this does not solve my conflict issues, is there an easy way to roll-back to where I am now without going through a re-format and fresh install?

On a different subject, since I have XP Pro SP2 disk and a SP3 disk, is there a way to then make a XP Pro SP3 disk for the future. Or, am I better off purchasing a XP Pro SP3 disk for future repairs/installs? As you can see, I am treading water in technical issues. Your help is very appreciated. Thanks

Edited by bsgranpa, 05 December 2010 - 11:01 AM.

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

Uninstall the old driver first and install the new one before installing SP3. SP3 can be uninstalled but it does not always leave a stable system.

You can use your current disk and add SP3 in one of two ways. Make a slipstreamed CD using the built in command in windows or (my favorite method because it is easy) use Nlite to create a slipstreamed ISO (you can even add drivers) which you can burn to disk.
Mark Twain

#7 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:36 PM

Baitboy, Oh my gosh! What a mess! Crash and multiple BSOD's. Fortunately, I backed up.

This is the data on the Windows report for the failure.....

Posted Image

After uninstalling the old driver, I started to install the newer version. It never finished before the BSOD. When it restarted, I got the "Found New Hardware" window. I cancelled it and tried to install the new version again. BSOD. At that point, I tried to install the old driver that worked previously, overwriting when prompted. BSOD with the same error above. Finally, I restored to Saturday and everything seems to be ok. I hope that it lasts because it's a lot of work and time to format and start all over again. Do you see anything that points to why I can't use the newer driver or upgrade to SP3?

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:18 PM

see if you can run bsod viewer and post the results back here
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

First, let me say that I really appreciate your help and admire your spirit of patience and I am envious of the skill and expertise of those who give of their time here.

Second, I did get a report. But how to post? Nothing was seeming to work. I finally copied to a spreadsheet which is attached. Let me know if I should do it a different way if this doesn't work.

OK, I can't upload a spreadsheet so I printed as a PDF. However, it's six pages. Sorry for the trouble.Attached File  Crash List.pdf   54.38KB   1 downloads

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

Very often laptop hardware has been made specifically for the motherboard manufacturer. Using any drivers but what was posted by the laptop maker can be problematic. This is probably why you were getting a system exception error. The last listed driver put out by Toshiba was in 2003.

SP3 changed the way a few things in windows interacted which "broke" some software and hardware . Unfortunately this seems like you may have one of the ones that the driver was never rewritten for SP3.
Mark Twain

#11 bsgranpa

bsgranpa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:34 AM

Thank you. I will indeed try to keep all practices safe and use caution. I currently use Microsoft Security Essentials, scan with Malwarebytes often, and do all my "important" discrete work on my office computer via Logmein. I have a router and I will add Spybot and Zonealarm immediately. With my data backed up, I can start over if something untoward happens I guess. As said before, thanks for your time and good advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users