Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a PC from, pretty much, scratch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xDWolfy

xDWolfy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Hey, as you can probably tell this is my first post on here :) Hopefully you guys can give me a hand with a few queries I have. I 'pretty much' know what I'm doing when it comes to building this computer, but I haven't done much research work on the components. Here's what I'm looking at getting;

ASUS Rampage III Extreme motherboard
Intel i7 950 3.06GHz Quad Core processor
6GB of Corsair DDR3 RAM (I already bought this, it's the XMS3 or something)
I already have an HDD in there (some kind of Seagate 500GB, not sure, it's been a while since I opened my old case up)
and either an ATi Sapphire HD 4850 x" 1GB, or a single 6870, also modified by Sapphire and with a 1GHz gpu.

But here's where the problems start. I have a 500 watt power supply and a decent sized case. But having seen both of these graphics cards in person for the first time, I'm worried that they won't fit in my current case (no make/model, sorry), nor that the power supply will be beefy enough to power all that stuff efficiently. Could you recommend a case/PSU combo that'd sort this out for me?

Also, where the graphics card is concerned, I really don't know which one of them is better value for money (the 6870 is a lot newer, and from what I can tell, pretty similar price wise) but I actually got worried today because on the box of it, it said it worked on PCI-e 2.1 - and after some brief searching, found that the Rampage has 4 PCi-e 2.0 slots and a 2.2 slot. I haven't got a clue if it'd work in a 2.0 slot, nor if the 2.2 slots are backwards compatible. Could someone also recommend which would be the best purchase for my machine?

Thanks a lot for any answers, guys. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

it will work, whats important is whether its a x16 slot or not, other then that version 2.2 or whatever is pretty backwards compatible, no issues. the 6870 is newer then the 6850, but keep in mind theyre both mid range cards-still great cards, but if your wanting high end your going to want toe 69xx series cards. They are about 10-10.5 inches long, and your case needs to be big enough not only to physically fit the card, but allow adequate airflow to them for cooling. Your PSU might be able to handle it if its a good brand PSU with a lot of amps on the +12v rails-but it will be a bit close, a good coolermaster or ANTEC 600-700 watt PSU would be what I would recomend.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 xDWolfy

xDWolfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 07:14 AM

Okay, thanks. I did some research after posting and yeah, the 6870 will work on those slots. And case wise, I need something that's a little above average, size wise, so that I can adequately fit everything in, and still get some air moving around in it. I was looking at a 750 watt PSU (there's no way my 500 could handle it, it's unbranded and suprisingly useless!) for around 90. Also

http://madoka.3bsystems.co.uk/productdetail.php?stockcode=SK-05032&catref=11

Do you think everything would fit in that particular case? And still get decent air flow? Thanks again

#4 ymustubother

ymustubother

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

honestly i would recommend an 850W+ PSU for a build like that... better to be safe than sorry. Good luck building!!!!

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:18 PM

Ya, a case like that would work fine, and a 750 watt PSU should work fine as long as its a good quality one. Im running a quad core setup with a factory overclocked 4890, (used to be 3870 x2 which is even more power hungry) 6 gigs of ram and 2 500 gig hard drives in RAID 1 in my system plus 7 120 mm fans on a coolermaster 750 watt in my system with power to spare. Only thing I would see needing a 850 for is if you plan to crossfire-and even then, a good 750 watt will crossfire two 6870s ok.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 xDWolfy

xDWolfy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

I'm probably not going to crossfire them THIS early down the line. The amount of gaming I do, this should be more than enough. I've gotten used to running everything on the lowest settings haha, so if need be I'll still do that if it'll help save a little power/ heat. The only redeeming quality of my current rig is the Q6600 :P Everything I have in it runs great with a 500 Watt powersupply, and it's by no means a decent one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users