Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD with new win7, old spinnin HDD=RC1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spencerm

spencerm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

Howdy folks. I just bought a new Kingston SSD and installed windows 7 pro onto it. My computer had been running win7 RC1 since it came out - I had to change the date back to 2004 so it wouldn't shut down every 2 hours and so that the correct date showed up. So I finally bought a copy of win7 pro and it installed just fine, got it running and everything. But my old spinning HDD still has the win7 RC1 install on it. I have 500GB of data on my HDD which RC1 seems to be protecting. I tried to "take ownership" of the drive via the new win7 install, but certain folders are getting denied. For example, from the new win7 install, I cannot access my Application Data folder from the RC1 installation. I've got some things in there I would like to get to, but it says I don't have permission. I would like for only my OS and certain applications/programs to run from the SSD, and for all user profile data and media (music video etc) to be stored on the old spinning HDD.

I suppose I just need to get all my crap off the spinning HDD with the RC1 install but without totally wiping the drive if possible. Can I just delete the RC1 windows folder once I'm booted into my SSD install? I need to get RC1 to relinquish all control over my HDD so that my new win7 install can treat the spinning HDD as plain data to read - nothing locked out on it. Does that make sense; is this possible? I know a ton of people have done what I'm trying to do, once SSDs got cheaper.

One thing I did try, which failed miserably, but which I thought was kinda clever, was to go through the registry on my SSD install and change everywhere it said "C:\Users" (which referred to the SSD) and change it to "D:\Users" (the old RC1 drive). That way, I thought, all my user and non-executable data and media would stay exactly where it is on my RC1 drive, and the new win7 pro settings would merge into the HDD and I could just use it to host my user profile and only have apps hosted off the SSD. That just screwed up my SSD win7 admin profile and gave explorer a bunch of problems displaying the taskbar and a bunch of other crap. So I system restored and got back to fresh install and that fixed that.

thx for any advice or tips :)

Edited by spencerm, 04 December 2010 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

Here is what I would do:

Boot back into the RC1 install. Copy all the data you want to an external drive (flash or hard drive, depending on how much space you need). Boot back onto the SSD, and format the RC1 HDD. Copy your data back onto the HDD whilst booted from the SSD, and you should (theoretically) have no permission issues.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 spencerm

spencerm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:26 PM

Any way to just remove all permissions? Example: currently, when booted into SSD, I cannot open my "Documents and Settings" folder from the RC1 install (I can, however, get into certain subfolders). When I attempt to change the security permissions, I get this:

Posted Image

Can I get past this problem without just copying all my data? I know I have that option of course, and eventually I will do just that. But for right now, I'd really just like to be able to use the existing HDD without running into permissions issues. Thanks again!

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Well, if you Take Ownership of the folders first, you should be able to give yourself permissions to read/write.

Properties > Security tab > Advanced > Owner tab > Edit > click yourself > Apply and OK your way back out

That makes you the owner (assuming it worked). Then you may still have to give yourself permissions like you were trying to do before.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users