Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have been removing Disk Doctor malware - Black Screen - No Desktop Icons - Taskbar Present

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bbcoast

bbcoast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:43 AM

Hello,

I have been having a problem with Disk Doctor since 1pm today (Dec 3 2010). I tried putting the computer into safe mode and running rkill, which came up with nothing. I then tried running malwarebytes Quick Scan which also found nothing. Everytime I would log onto my computer (Toshiba Satellite Laptop), the Disk Doctor malware would start up, not letting me access anything else and coming up with a ton of popups saying "critical error" and other things. I opened it up back in safe mode. I tried a full scan of malwarebytes and after an hour and a half it still found nothing. I tried searching for the files manually, and could not find most, if any, of them. In safe mode, I reinstalled rkill and ran it a few times. It picked up one finding: WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmipruse.exe. I reinstalled malwarebytes in and updated and launched the program. It came back with 9 findings within 8 minutes, all of which I removed.

Now I am able to start the computer in normal mode. The first time I was able to do this, I received a message stating: "Cannot find file C:\Windowslis-B3LE4.exe. Make sure to type the name correctly, then try again. To search for a file, click the start button and then click search."

The computer now opens and starts without that warning. However, I have a BLACK SCREEN with no wallpaper and ALL THE DESKTOP ICONS HAVE DISAPPEARED. I have a task bar where I can launch everything through 'start'. I can access my desktop icons through start>desktop, but I would like a way to get my icons back. I would also like to know if I am fully rid of the malware or if it is still lurking. Could anybody help me with this?

I can provide logs if needed.

THANK YOU!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:07 AM

Welcome bbcoast -
I would suggest that you follow the instructions inThis Guide

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ->HERE - Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can , produce at least some of the logs , then please create the new topic.

Thank You -

EDITED for Spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 04 December 2010 - 07:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users