Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 nightmare

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 msw1748

msw1748

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:04 AM

got an hp notebook running win 7 64 bit. first, unit was a display purchased from walmart had already been set up and tweeked by several other people and its been a lengthy process reverting everything to my needs, particularly when it comes to not being able to access numerous files with a message saying i dont have permission. EXCUSE ME!!!!! oh hell no. last time i checked, i own this *^$#%@^$ thing. WHEN will there be a system that isnt going to do something unless i tell it too? Do the people who design this stuff actually use computers the way the general public usually does? I bet not, they re too busy trying to design then come up with fixes for the design causing everyone to shell out mass amounts of money. kind of like how when someone works at a doughnut shop they can never eat another doughnut again. well i bet its the same for software designers. cant even think about a computer when you get home can you? thus the reason your operating systems continue to take years off of peoples lives. i got news for you, xp was your best attempt still. anyway, i was re assigning permissions and taking OWNERSHIP of some files when a would be spy proceeded to shut down my comp the hard way and guess what? no ive got the dreaded black screen wont boot ,no safe, no command, no last known, no nuthin! and of course the last file to load is atipcie.sys. wonderful. by HIS grace the comp will boot from my external dvd usb drive and i am currently without a copy of my bought and paid for operating system. Yea thats a great idea not giving people oem disks anymore. hummm not only are you saving on material, think of all the other people with problems that were not furnished with boot and recovery disks who couldn or didnt know about the extra partition. there are people out there still playing solitaire that have no clue, all that extra money being spent trying to fix. so if anyone has anything to add please do. i think linnux or mac may be in the near future, sorry Bill. business, you know how it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

See if this helps you http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/92177-boot-windows-7-system-repair-disc-usb-using-grub4dos.html

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 msw1748

msw1748
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:29 PM

thanks jacee. i took care of the problem using a windows 7 upgrade disc. ran the repair computer option and then led me to a restore option and restored the missing or faulty atipcie.sys. after the restore was complete a message said that system could not be restored automatically which was wrong. i rebooted and voila!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users