Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Flame Leaking Fireplace Gas Valve

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smilezrcool

smilezrcool

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:34 AM

I have a fireplace and the gas line was d/c up in the attic going to the fireplace. I removed the cut gas pipe and rethreaded on the cut end and pressured the gas line with 10psi of air. The gauge showed I was losing air so I went downstairs and soaped the Blue Flame gas valve that is located inside the brick next to the fireplace opening. I noticed bubbles coming from around the stem. I do not think the stem packing can be replace unlike a water faucet stem. My question does anyone know if I can replace the stem packing or an easy way to replace the valve short of tearing out the brick around of the valve. I have brick on all sides of the valve including the back. My intentions were to install a vent free vanguard fire place gas log set. I would appreciate any suggestions or comments!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Do you have a picture of the valve?

#3 smilezrcool

smilezrcool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

No I do not have a picture of the valve but I was able to remove the inside part and took it to the gas company and they were able to repack it with a certain type of grease. The pressure on the line is only 2-5 psi.

#4 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

smilezrcool,

Thanks for the update.

I work for a company that manages over 200 neighborhoods and we often have weird things go on with clubhouse fireplaces and neighborhood gas lanterns.

That is good to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users