Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell Dimension E520 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paragon68

paragon68

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:27 AM

I have a Dell Dimension E520 2.93GHz, 1GB DDR2 667MHz ram, 250GB HDD. I recently upgraded to 4GB Mushkin DDR2 800MHz ram, Antec earthwatts 500 watt PSU,Gigabyte GT 240 1GB video card and added a second 500GB HDD. After everything was installed I booted the system and after about 25 to 30 seconds it re-booted then it would just shut off. I tried eliminating the new components one by one with the same results. I finally went back to the original memory and the original video card and kept the power supply and second hard drive in the system. Now it runs ok until I log out of my game it will reboot.(Need for speed world) I also start transfering data from the 250 HDD to the 500HDD and it reboots or shuts down. Im beginning to think its a heat issue because all of the components are compatible. There is no fan on PSU and the HDD's are right next to each other about a 1/4 inch apart. I am a intermediate tech and Ive never seen this before. Anyone have any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

There is no fan on PSU

That Antec does have a fan. "The Antec Earthwatts EA500 is equipped with a low-noise 80mm fan to provide highly efficient cooling for the power supply and the whole system while remaining quiet operation."

If the fan isn't spinning, take back, RMA it, or what ever you have to do to either get it exchanged or your money back. This makes me wonder what other problems this PSU has.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 paragon68

paragon68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:27 PM

Yes the Antec has a 80mm fan and it works fine, hoever it does not have a 120mm on the bottom like my two other PSU's wich are Cooler Master 650 watt.
I do think it's a heat issue but I was looking for a little confimation on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users