Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep mode causes crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 floridaze

floridaze

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hi all. I've explored several troubleshooting topics on my computer about power saving modes, but none addressed my problem.

My problem being, on my new Win7 Ultimate x64 custom-built machine, sometimes when I put it into sleep mode from the start button it reboots instead, and upon rebooting tells me that Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown (after asking me if I want to start in safe mode, etc), OR it will go to sleep when I tell it to from the start button, but it won't wake up. When I press the power button, it restarts as if I had shut it down, not put it to sleep, and I get the same message as described above.

If needed, I can copy and paste the details from what the message tells me went wrong, the next time it happens. I know it says blue screen, then it gives a lot of techie details which I don't understand.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

Assuming, it's a desktop, forget about any power savings features.
No need for them and I don't think, MS will be able to make them work flawlessly, even in Windows 27.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 spencerm

spencerm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

I just got a new SSD and installed fresh win7 pro. If the computer goes to sleep, it won't wake up - however, I get nothing on-screen when I try to wake up. I hear the fans start moving, a couple lights come on, then it loses power and tries again (will keep on failing til I pull the plug). Solution? Don't put the computer to sleep. Haven't found an actual fix yet - this is with the Kingston 64GB SSD.

#4 xDWolfy

xDWolfy

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:34 PM

I get pretty much the same problems, when it goes on standby after leaving it alone for over 15 minutes, it won't wake up when I come back to it, or it will, but it'll take a LOT of mouse jiggling and keystrokes to do so. I don't know if there is a fix, but I haven't found one yet...

#5 floridaze

floridaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:40 PM

Thanks, all. Appreciate the feedback.

You're all pretty much right that there's no need for sleep mode. I was so used to my nine-year-old XP machine taking a full five minutes to boot up, and being that my new machine boots up in probably 30 seconds, I'll just turn it off when it's not in use.

Good luck to all with the same problem if you wish to use sleep mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users