Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parallels or Crossover?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hi y'all,

I am looking to buy a new MacBook or MacBook Pro this coming year. However, there are some programs I can't do without that only have Windows versions available. So the question is, which is the better program for running Windows Applications? Keep in mind I'm looking for something that will run open-source programs, online games, and software writing programs (such as Notepad).

Thanks for your input! :wink:

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 03 December 2010 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBox_vs_Others
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:07 PM

You can try bootcamp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_%28software%29

#4 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

I'm a newbie to mac and to virtual machines. I'm using VirtualBox to run Word and PaperPort on a WinXP VM - so notepad is readily accessible.
VirtualBox was free and Parallels is not. I did read the user's manual about 3xes before trying to install VB, but once I got up the courage it installed and setup easily. Winxp installed into VB and activated w/out problem. I allocated 1 GB of my mac's 4 GB memory to the VM and Word and PaperPort [both memory hogs] run fine with multitasking in both the VM and the mac "side". Not as fast as my apps on the mac "side", but at the same speed that they ran on my pc. So I think VirtualBox is a good VM program to run windows with.

I'm not sure what open-source programs you intend to run, but I would think if they run OK on windows they'll run OK on windows in a VM.

I've never run games, so I don't know if VB would be adequate for that. You might need to use bootcamp for that rather than trying to run it from a VM. I expect when you run a game you don't do other computer stuff so having to boot either into windows or into mac wouldn't be a problem. I need to run win programs and mac programs simultaneously, so I need the VM to run windows.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users