Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oiler9

oiler9

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

I will be replacing my computer that I built 2+ years ago. I have Raid 1 and have never been happy with the performance.
I was looking at Digital Storm and would like reviews. Are there others you could recommend.
I will be going with a 240gb Corsair SSD drive and 2- nvidia GTX 470 cards. I was going with 12gb of triple channel 1600 Corsair ram. I am figuring on a 1000w power supply.
I am figuring on a ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard. I will be running Win7 Pro 64bit.Chipset to be Intel I7- 950. Coolermaster HAF 932 case.
I am not sure if there is any real advantage to go with the GTX 480 cards. I do cad work and the program I use deals with many small files so that is the
reason for the SSD.
Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from System Building and Upgrading to the more appropriate forum, at the suggestion of staff. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:53 AM

Are you going to be building this PC yourself or buying it from Digital Storm Computers?

3939.png

#3 oiler9

oiler9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

I was planning on buying from digital storm or other supplier. I built my last computer and have never been happy with it.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

Maybe it was the parts you selected. By going with a boutique builder, you are going to be paying a premium. Other boutique builders consider are Maingear, Velocity Micro, or Puget Systems.

3939.png

#5 oiler9

oiler9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:55 AM

So by what you are saying the best way to go would be to build it myself?
I know on the last one I did Raid and that was my biggest problem with the installation of XP. I spent 2 days on just trying to install software.

Here is what I am looking at right now.
Case HAF 922 Exterior Finish:
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Drive Force Series CSSD-F240GB2-BRKT)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High Performance Cooler (Compatible With i5/i7/AMD Processors)
Boost Processor: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
Boost Video Card: Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS: Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

What do you think?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

I say build your own with your own quality parts. Windows 7 is very easy to install, just click a couple of times and it handles everything from there. Since you already know how to do it, building it should be easy. That's not a bad system, but unless you are wanting to squeeze every last frame per second of a game, it is probably overpowered with the CPU, the GPU is already outclassed, and unless you are using two dual GPU cards, the power supply is overkill. It is still a pretty good system, it's just it might be more cost effective to build it, or an alternate build, yourself.

3939.png

#7 oiler9

oiler9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:23 AM

So you are saying to go down in the chipset to what?
I was planning on going with 2 GPU cards so that is why I have a 1000 w power supply. If I run 2 video cards shouldn't I run a 1000 W power supply?
You are saying the GPU is outclassed by what? The software I run needs an open GL card and Nvidia cards do that the cards from ATI are hit and miss and cause problems with the program.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:32 PM

You can certainly get that system, it would serve you well, but, personally, unless you are trying to get every last frame per second out of a game, an AMD system might be more cost effective. One of their Phenom II X6 CPU's would probably equal the performance, more so if the programs you use demand actual physical cores instead of hyperthreading, or if they can use all six cores. You do not need a 1KW power supply in a dual GPU configuration unless you are using the GPU's that have two GPU's on one printed circuit board, like the Radeon 5970. For two GTX 460's in SLI, a 750W power supply is all you really need. What seems to be the issue with ATI/AMD graphics cards with your program? According to the specifications I've seen, any of AMD's recent GPU's will run OpenGL 4.1. As for what is more powerful than a GTX 460, it is outclassed by any of the faster Nvidia cards, the Radeon 5850 and up, along with the Radeon 6800 and 6900 series. The Radeon 6850 is a little more powerful for about the same price, the 6870 more so, and both the 6950 and 6970 cards are far more powerful. You should get whatever works best for your given situation. Although there are more powerful cards, it won't do you any good if you cannot use them for your purposes. BTW, with multi-GPU setups, getting a single powerful GPU is often best rather than two mid-range GPU's. This comes from gaming where not all games are able to fully use Crossfire/SLI equally. If a game has performance issues or simply doesn't scale well, thus requiring it to use only a single card, the performance gap isn't quite as painful since one high-end card can play most games well at higher settings, unlike the performance of a single mid-range graphics card where it would be a much slower experience.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users