Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista not closing properly/freezing - Malwarebytes/Avast freezing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 haplessfool67

haplessfool67

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hello - I could do with some advice, I think.

Some basics first:

Dell Inspiron 1525 with 3GB RAM, running Vista

Recently I've had problems where my laptop has frozen during normal operation - nothing fancy, just surfing etc. It sometimes doesn't shut down properly either.

I have been using the radialpoint safecare software that Virgin Media supply in the UK as part of their broadband package. For a few months now the anti spy and anti virus s/w have failed to load, so I have relied on MSE. As I say, some problems have started to appear.

MSE told me that on 15/11/2010 i had a trojandownloader which was removed.

Some pals advised I would be better trying Malwarebytes or Avast. I tried the former and on scanning it stuck while looking at wklnhst.dat (something to do wth MS Works I think). I had to power off and on. It did a chkdsk which came up with a number of actions that looked like it was trying to fix something (sorry). I rand MBAM again and it got further then froze while looking at msvcr80.dll.

Power off/on again. :angry:

OK, then I tried avast, which seemed to get about 38% through then froze.
Power off/on again.

SOmeone suggested rkill would kill any trojan processes that might be causing a problem - t did knock off a couple of things (one by sun and another by ms). Malwarebytes again - crashed as before.

Struggling now!

Welcome any advice at all.

Cheers
Steve

Edited by Budapest, 03 December 2010 - 03:54 PM.
Moved from Vista ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

Can you try running MBAM in Safe Mode?

You can get to safe mode via hitting F8 just after the BIOS Post screen/Dell Splash Logo.

#3 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Can you try running MBAM in Safe Mode?

You can get to safe mode via hitting F8 just after the BIOS Post screen/Dell Splash Logo.

literally just trying that now - cheers

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Post the log if you can, it will be under the log tab in MBAM or via a notepad window with the results. Try both a quick and complete scan in safe mode.

#5 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Thanks - the quick scan finished in about 7 mins with no issues reported. Running a full scan now. That's the first time I've got MBAM to complete a pass.

#6 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:46 PM

MBAM full scan just completed after 54 mins and 411k files scanned

zero infection

that is ressuring I guess - so what next?

#7 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 05:11 PM

'm running Avast - quick scan. About 24% through. See what that throws up.

Someone has suggested HDDScan.

#8 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:44 AM

I ran HDD SCAN - all green apart from one line

num=197
attribute name = current pending errors count
value = 200
worst = 200
raw(hex)= 0000000000-0002
threshold = 000

i have precisely no idea what that tells me....it had a yellow awarning triangle next to it

Help needed still, I think. Malwarebytes reports me clean. But things still freeze up - even if only browsing.

#9 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

Right - I've managed to run MBAM and Avast again and another chkdsk which, for the first time in ages, did not throw up any issues. It's booting and shutting down properly. performance seems improved. startup noticeably so - i've ditched quite a bit of junk.

I've ditched the AV/Firewall that my ISP provided. I'm using windows Firewall and Avast....I've also got Malwarebytes, cccleaner and defraggler handy. I used the registry cleaner on cccleaner for the first time (didn't even know it had one!). All seems ticketty boo.

Is there anything else I should have in my "toolkit" or am I good to go?

Thanks for chipping in, Cryptodan. :thumbup2:

Edited by haplessfool67, 04 December 2010 - 08:08 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Your issues were probably solved by the chkdsk. I would remove CCleaner ASAP.

#11 haplessfool67

haplessfool67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:37 PM

a case of leaping before looking and a little knowledge being a dangerous thing, i guess - thanks :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users