Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Internet Explorer Vs. Mozilla Firefox

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:17 PM

Hi there, I am thinking about using firefox but and not sure if I should or not.

What do you guys think?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:09 PM

Several weeks ago I was asked to try FF. I now use it a my default browser. Some sites require IE but only a few. It is quicker and has a frienly interface. I think you shouldat least try it.
You have nothing to lose. Experimenting it most of the fun of computering. Don't do it because you should, do it because you are curious and want to play.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:46 AM

I've used Firefox since it was v0.0.4 - and it's been my default since v0.0.7

It'll take a bit of getting used to - but you'll see that it's worth it! The tabs are the biggest benefit, but so is the customizatability! You can make it do almost anything that you want it to!

Another good thing is that you'll still have IE on your system - so you can go back to it if you want to.

Some issues:
1) You'll still need IE to go to Windows Update
2) Some other web pages don't view properly in Firefox - but you'll still have IE to view them. (there is an extension for Firefox called IE Tab which allows you to view IE in a Firefox tab - I use it a lot!)
3) Since Firefox is open-source, there are many, many people donating their time to make it even better. If you've got a question, you'll have plenty of suggestions on how to do something (which I never found with IE)
4) Since Firefox is open-source, you'll find that some of the extensions/plug-ins/themes/etc aren't as thoroughly developed as in IE.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 red59convt

red59convt

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:55 PM

I tried FF a couple of times in the past and had a huge problem with it.
The reason I say a couple of times is because about 6 months after the first install/ uninstall, I tried it again to see if I would have the same problem.
When I originally installed it, it wasn't on my system two minutes when avg virus scan detected 1245 viruses.
That was not a typo, 1245 viruses.
I thought something had to be in error.
I used the browser for about fifteen minutes more and avg detected another 800 viruses.
Most of the viruses were names I had never heard off.
I uninstalled FF and removed it from the regestry, cleaned the hard drive with avg and spybot.
All viruses were removed.
About 6 months ago I installed FF again and the same virus alert was detected by avg, spybot, trend micro and norton.
In total, these four virus scans had detected 2500 viruses and trojans right after mozilla was installed.
Since I removed mozilla, I have not had one virus or trojan show up on my computer.
Needless to say, I would never ever again install that browser on my computer.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

red59convt,
If your getting viruses when installing Firefox, you've got problems elsewhere, because it's not Firefox giving you the problems.
I've been using it since it was Firebird, with no problems.
I also use Spybot and Norton.
I also use Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, Ewido, and aČ, without any problems.
Several of our members use AVG, and haven't mentioned any problems.

Edited by tg1911, 02 December 2005 - 11:20 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:05 AM

red59convt, I fully back tg1911's comments here. Installing Firefox was not the cause of your past problems. Most hijackthis experts who deal with removing various types of malware on a daily basis recommend to those they assist that they use Firefox as an alternate browser because of its security. ActiveX is the main security issue with IE which supports it by default, Firefox does not. When your browser runs an ActiveX control, it is running an executable program which is no different from double-clicking an .exe file on your hard drive.

Read "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe" (scroll down to #13)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:37 AM

I thought the Firefox vs IE debate was supposed to be over and done with, and that the latest trend is to endlessly debate Firefox vs Opera. Anyway, I prefer Firefox, IE is getting old, both in UI and under the hood.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Sunspire

Sunspire

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:38 PM

I use IE. I've tried Firefox, Mozilla, Opera and other browsers and I still like IE. I know that there's all these security issues and stuff, but frankly I've never experienced these issues. I don't see what the fuss is all about and why there's this debate about which is the best.

Different users have different needs and so they use the browsers that suit them. :thumbsup:

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

I also vote for Firefox. It is a solid browser. I use IE as well, and will continue to use a blend of the two, but Firefox is my primary.

*I also add to the above comments. I have no issues with viruses or malware with Firefox. It's clean*

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

I, personally, only use IE when I update Windows. After My HD crashed, I began using Firefox, and I love it. it beats IE by a longshot in terms of security. I've had no issues with firefox since install. As long as you install the quicktime and flash plugins you are golden. :thumbsup:

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:32 PM

Did you have a firewall operating when you got the virus alert?

Firefox is a great browser. I don't know if it's "better" than IE, but it's faster, and doesn't have the active X malicious scripting exposure that IE has simply because it doesn't have active x componentry.

You still must retain IE along with Firefox because IT is an integral part of your Windows ooperating system and you need it for any site that depends on Active X like the online virus and malware scans and of course Windows updates.

I agree that Firefox did not and cannot be responsible for the infusion of viruses. If you had your resident av program updated and running, and your firewall operating you cannot have a virus problem just by using Firefox.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:34 PM

Recently (for the last 3-4 months or so) all I use is FirefoxAVG Free, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta, Windows Update, and Sygate Personal Edition firewall (along with the NAT firewall in my router).

During that time I've had 1 hit on a virus - which was an email that I was curious about (and AVG caught it). BUT, I spend a lot of time on the bad side of the web - so that increases my risk, but I've learned a lot about how to avoid the bad stuff, so that decreases my risk.

I added the MVPS Hosts file to my repetoire about a week ago.

A while back my son's computer was infested with spyware. When we talked about what happened - he said that he was sick of the popups, so he clicked on them just to get rid of them. Wrong move!

The bad guys can change any button on a window to do whatever they want. Never, ever close an unwanted popup - instead, kill the application that it's in (Internet Explorer or Firefox) - even if it means losing that stack of Windows or tabs that are open. You can do this with safely with Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 red59convt

red59convt

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:57 AM

red59convt,
If your getting viruses when installing Firefox, you've got problems elsewhere, because it's not Firefox giving you the problems.
I've been using it since it was Firebird, with no problems.
I also use Spybot and Norton.
I also use Ad-aware, Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, Ewido, and aČ, without any problems.
Several of our members use AVG, and haven't mentioned any problems.

I also use spybot, spyware blaster, norton and avg.
My computer is running xp home which has a built in firewall.
I had no incidences of any viruses until I installed FF.
When the install was completed, I rebooted and that was when all the viruses were detected.
My home page had changed, and the computer was loading pages slow.
When I ran the virus scans, the viruses were removed and I had no more viruses until I installed FF again, 6 months later.
The same things happened except this time more than avg detected problems.
Again, my home page changed to something called "About Blank".
Once the scans removed the viruses, I uninstalled FF and removed it from the registry as well.
I have had no viruses or problems since.
Obviously FF seems to have been the problem.
Bob.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:59 PM

I also use...norton and avg

I hope your using one of them as a stand-alone scanner because running TWO AV programs in REAL-TIME PROTECTION MODE CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS. Each program will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". Further AV software componets insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability or even crash your computer. Compounding the problem is the utilization of system resources and slower booting due to additional startup entries in the registry and running processes.

While operating in real-time mode, if one AV program finds a virus and then the other AV program also finds the same virus, then both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each piece of AV software will attempt to seize the offending file and quarantine it. Further, if one AV finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both AV's wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files. This can lead to a repetivite cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

red59convt,
Where did you download Firefox from?
From here? mozilla.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users