Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Wont Boot Correctly

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jonnyblaze

Jonnyblaze

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:11 PM

Im having problems when i start my computer i get a screen like this(im using my little brothers computer)

Copyright 1996-2003 Intel Corpration

HV84510A.86A.0050.P15.0305252001

Intel® Celeron® processor, 2.80 GHz
1536 System RAM

Hit <F2> if you want to run SETUP
Hit <F12> if you want to boot from the network

Of course I have already tried hitting both keys but nothing happens. I have tried clearing the CMOS, changing keyboards, nothing works. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks

P.S. Im only 14 so be patient with me.

Edited by Jonnyblaze, 01 December 2005 - 06:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:40 PM

:thumbsup: to BC Jonnyblaze,

When those choices come up and you press the F2 key you should go into the BIOS menu.
On one of the first pages of that menu (I can't be specific because it depends on the brand) there are entries for the four possible IDE devices connected to your motherboard. They would be listed something ike this:
  • Primary Master - xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Primary Slave - Auto
  • Secondary Master - Auto
  • Secondary Slave - MitsumiCDRW1234
- where xxxxxx should be the make and model of your hard drive. If no hard drive is listed then it's possible the drive may be faulty or has become disconnected.

You can make a boot floppy (aka startup disk) on your brothers PC and try to boot your own PC from that. How you do that depends on the version of Windows he has.

Let us know. :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 01 December 2005 - 06:44 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Jonnyblaze

Jonnyblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

Well, either my computer(desktop) freezes or my keyboard isnt responding, nothing happens when I press either key. How can I make a startup disc, you mean like a Windows disc?

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

How can I make a startup disc, you mean like a Windows disc?

You have not yet told me what version of Windows is on the two PCs so I cannot tell you how other than by consulting help.

"Windows disk" would normally be the WIndows installation CD, I'm talking about a boot floppy which allows you to boot in MSDOS mode and possibly read some data from your hard drive, but this will be of no use if your PC can't get past that first screen.

Are there any noises (beeping sounds) coming from the PC when you try to boot? How confident would you be opening the case and re-seating a few things like the memory, cables and any plug-in cards that are there? (It's not difficult, I just don't want to suggest it if your not happy doing that sort of thing.)
:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 01 December 2005 - 07:45 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Jonnyblaze

Jonnyblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

Both computers are running Windows XP Pro SP2. There are no beeping sounds at all, and I built this and my computer on my own(with financial aid of course), so I will have no trouble at all moving things around.

Edited by Jonnyblaze, 01 December 2005 - 08:15 PM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:05 PM

Ok, to make a boot floppy in XP you click Start>MyComputer and after putting a blank floppy in the drive, right click on the A: drive and select 'Format'. In the format dialog box tick 'Create an MSDOS startup disk'.
When the format is complete you will be able to boot off that floppy drive and use some basic DOS commands.
That's not going to be of any use at this stage though.

Shutdown and take off the cover of your PC. With the power cord still connected touch the metal parts of the case to discharge static in your body and then remove the power cord for safety. I'd suggest you check any cables or connectors are firmly in place on the motherboard and the drives then remove and reseat all the memory. Remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes or use the Clear CMOS jumper to reset that. Remove any add-on cards except for the video card. Plug in the power cord again and boot the PC. Does the CPU fan spin? Does the hard drive sound like it's spinning up? Can the PC get past its POST checks and start booting?

:thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 01 December 2005 - 09:07 PM.

#7 Jonnyblaze

Jonnyblaze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

I think im gonna pull out the guts and put em all back in. nothing seems to be working

Edited by Jonnyblaze, 01 December 2005 - 09:29 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:37 PM

If you are going to play inside start by reseating the memory and cards.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users