Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot or access Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sandrider117

sandrider117

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

I’ve got an older laptop (IBM Thinkpad R51) that won’t boot into Windows XP. When I try to boot normally, it hangs on the black XP screen. When I try Safe Mode, it hangs on agp440.sys. When I try to boot from the XP CD, it hangs on “Setup is Starting Windows.”

I ran Memtest86+ and several hard drive scanners of off UBCD, all came back clean. I can boot off an Ubuntu Live CD just fine, no problems at all – access hard drive, browse the internet, everything.

I tried several bootup discs to get me to the Recovery Console, but nothing that I tried worked – most either wouldn’t boot at all or would hang. I heard about the “F5” trick (regarding ACPI) when booting from the Windows XP CD, and tried all the options available from that and ONE TIME it booted into the recovery console (choosing ACPI PC). However, I didn’t utilize this opportunity properly, and have since been unable to replicate the results.

Also tried disabling everything in the BIOS before starting up, and removing HDD, CD drive, RAM – no help. I’m out of ideas. I’m not against formatting the HDD and reinstalling XP, but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to reinstall it, as I currently can’t properly boot the install CD.

Can anyone help? Can I do anything in Ubuntu to diagnose/repair Windows?

Edited by sandrider117, 03 December 2010 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

Well...seems strange that you can boot an Ubuntu CD and run Memtest from CD...yet you cannot boot any apparently bootable Windows media.

That would compel me to finger the media as possibly faulty/dirty/damaged.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users