Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera & HTML Oddity

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:25 AM

My home page is an HTML document that sits on my hard drive. It's sort of an "internet launch pad." It consists only of categorized links to web sites that I visit on a regular basis, as well as two search boxes, one for Google and one for IxQuick.

Today, the page started to ignore something that I have coded into each link. For this home page, I like to have the site I've linked to open in a new tab, so I have each one coded as target="_blank". For example, this is the way that my link to BC is coded:

<li><a href="http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/" target="_blank">Bleeping Computer</a></li>

The problem is that Opera is ignoring the target tag, and opening the page in the same tab. This was not the case when I went to bed last night, it just started this morning. It does not happen in any other browser, only in Opera.

Anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:21 PM

Browsers change how they render things from time to time due to various updates. It is hard to know without seeing what is happening in your code. Try using the HTML validator here and see if your HTML validates first:
http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_input

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

Okies, a couple of questions.

First, browser handling will change even without doing an update of the browser? That seems odd to me.

I ran the code through the link you provided. It came back with 73 errors, all of which had to do with using the & symbol by itself, rather than using "&amp;" I can see that for text that will appear on the page, though it's never given me a problem before. However, this site tells me that I have to change that ampersand even within a URL? That also seems very odd to me, though I admit, I haven't kept up to date on current standards.

Finally, after correcting the errors to conform with what the site told me, I still have this page ignoring the target="_blank" instruction.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

Actually in Opera, you can right-click on a web page and choose Validate. It will automatically send the page to the link groovicus posted :)

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

Thanks, Romeo - that's a nice little tip. After fixing the errors that this site showed, the code now comes back clean, and the "blank" instruction is still ignored. It's not a major deal, really - I mean, I can right-click my links and force the link to open in a new tab. But I really don't like it when code doesn't respond the way I tell it to. This is annoying me... lol...

Edit:

Not clean, it seems. I have this error, which seems to be contradicting itself:

Line 4, Column 62: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
<link href="css/style.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> (Refers to the Forward Slash)

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways, depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/' terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01 Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.

In the original code, I did NOT use the SHORTTAG terminator. This message appears to be telling me that it's an error that I'm not using it, and yet, it tells me to avoid it completely? Or am I misunderstanding what this message is telling me? This is my document declaration:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Edited by MelissaPleases, 03 December 2010 - 10:34 PM.

Snowden03.png

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

I'm bumping this thread because I've just begun having more issues with Opera. This time, it's not about the "blank" target that's being ignored, though.

I use a program called Tracks Eraser Pro. It does a nice job of cleaning up history and cookies for me, etc. I like the program. But it's begun to act erratically in Opera. The behavior I'll describe occurs only when I run Opera, not with any other browser.

I have TEP set to run each time that I close a browser. At that point, it should go begin clearing cookies, erasing history, clearing cache, etc. Now, though, each time I browse from one web page to the next, it does it's little erasing routine. Even with the browser open and running - every time I click to a different page or web site, it does the full erasing process. I changed the settings so that it would only do this when I shut down Windows, but it still does it when I run Opera. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, with no success.

The program functions perfectly with all other browsers.

Has anyone else run into issues of late with Opera? It's my browser of choice, and has been for some years now, but this is quite annoying - first it ignores "blank" target commands, and now this. I use Firefox also, but for some reason, it seems to run slower than Opera.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 20 December 2010 - 06:35 PM.

Snowden03.png

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Try removing opera completely as described here : http://webtrickz.com/how-to-uninstallremove-opera-completely/
Also delete these registry keys if found,
HKLM\Software\Opera Software
HKCU\Software\Opera Software

Then do a system restart and reinstall Opera.

BTW when someone says fast browser, Chrome comes to my mind.

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:35 PM

Okies, I'll give that a shot.

I'm not overly fond of Google products, so I've avoided Chrome. But I suppose I should give it a look-see...

Edit to Add: Followed those instructions, and it didn't work - TEP is still running the cleaning process each time I change web page. This is so very annoying... :(

Edited by MelissaPleases, 20 December 2010 - 11:14 PM.

Snowden03.png

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Have you checked with Tracks Eraser Pro support?

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Yes, Groovicus - I sent an email, which I've only received a "form letter" response to at this point. Still waiting to hear something specific from them regarding the issue.

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users